trajisto

May 3, 2002
I live in the Western U.S. I do mostly singletrack and desert racing(2003 AMA National Vet Amateur Hare and Hound Champion). I also do some Enduro riding(Qualifiers and such). I've got a chance to get a ride with Gas Gas for 2004. The problem is that I know nothing about any of the bikes. I can get either the 250 or 300 2-strokes or the 450 4-stroke. It seems by the specs that the 450 is quite a bit heavier then the two-strokes. Do you notice it in the tight stuff. Does the power compensate for the added weight? Also, is it worth the extra money for the Ohlin's forks? I like my forks to be real compliant and if it makes a solid difference I would spend the extra money. Any input on the 2004 models and setup would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Travis Epperson
Prescott, AZ
travis@surfbest.net

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/

This site has some really good Gas Gas info. I learned of this site from DRN. I bought my 03 Gas Gas from them. I live out in San Jose,Ca. I almost made the mistake of saying how lucky you are to have the opertunity to be sponsored by Gas Gas,I am sure luck had nothing to do with it. What I am trying to spit out here is that it sounds like all your hard work is paying off. I sure hope you Ride for Gas Gas. God Luck with your dicision..................

trajisto

May 3, 2002
Matt,

That site won't let me post anything for some reason. If you race check with your dealer about sponsorship. I know Gas Gas is trying hard to get their name out there right now.

Thanks,
Travis

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
You have to log on . It is free and painless. I think I also had a problem with cookies or something like that I think I had my computer set for high security or some thing to that nature and I had to change my settings. I believe itkept asking me to login after i already did good luck. OH yea you want to be clicking on talking smack its at the bottom left

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Travis I think that the 04s come with either the Ohlins or Marzochi (copied Ohilns). All of the forks are going have to be valved adn sprung You should talk to Les at LTR hes the suspension man. My overly worked forks are gona go soon ( hopefully this week) to the Man. Ive got wp 43s on my 01 300xc and its been a great bike and ive never been left stranded out of about 4k miles.

Ill let you up on the turnout of those forks. My recomendations are the ohlins. They are a dream comin true. The cadillac of speed. Once set up properly( the ones I rode were doubtfully stock) were definitly THE front end to have. That is definitly what I will be comparing my wp's 2 in a few weeks

Which one to get????? 300 for the des. and trees its the bomb. Twisted and Its GOES OFf if its not enough theres Steve at Motowest that can get you shipped into shape. if 65 sounds better than 55 hp to you
1st thing get the Ltr needle kit, wake up the sleepy one Doma pipe and guard, skid plate, taller bars adn mounting further forward and dif seat taller if necessary, steerinstablzr, motion pro beadlocks, and finally some tires.

A Mod. 200 is the ultimite hs bike in MS. Its sooo sweeet that I decided that if a 200s this wicked Give me the 3 so that I could gain ass whooopings if I didnt pay attention. the Desert adn sand go with the 300 the 450 hasnt been far enough for me to trust with me having any points riddin on it the extra weight would take its toll on someone small over the course of 100 miles. I weigh 150 ride on the loosest side of the bike!!!!!! I havent actually ridden the 450 but GasGas's make more torque and dont rev out unless helped. 250 or 450 on eric gorrs steroids are still dreaming of 300s even when they are awake. I would like to hear that the 450 GG is as bad as the Husky 450. But I really cant speak for the 450 as id like to have the seat check to compare the 2 too.
Youll still like them both
there would just be nothing you could do for the stone cold fuel injected machine. How about a 100mile demo with the dealer then youll both know which one you should ride and you can tell us!!!HAHAHAHAH

trajisto

May 3, 2002
Rah Rah,

Thanks for the help. So you're saying the 300 is way different and better then the 250? Could someone be more specific for we have 250 2T class' but the 300's run with the big 4T and KX500's. I have raced a 2003 KTM 300EXC all last year and loved it. How do they compare? Also, I would still like advice from someone with seat time on the new GG 450. Thanks for the help guys.

Thank You,
Travis Epperson

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
Hi Travis! everyone's got their own bias, BUT my opinion favors the 2 strokes for the tighter terrain( trees and single track)-i've ridden the 300's for 4 years and more recently the 250's, and both are awesome bikes- gassers really shine in their ablilty to outturn "anything" else, and the combo of a 6 speed trans and the lightest hydraulic clutch really is an advantage, particularly on those longer rides(like qualifiers)! the 2 strokes all exhibit a more linaer power delivery than the typical jap mx'er- this makes them a lot easier to ride and better at finding traction when conditions aren't "perfect"
i'm in the cycle biz and was at the prescott,az GG dealer show- it was there that i had a chance to compare the new zoke fork to the ohlins option- the zoke fork would be my choice, even if there was'nt the price difference! the zoke 45 "shiver"(as it's called) was extremely compliant and took the worst abuse i could throw at it- no bottoming and still very supple! GG is also offering the mx250 with a zoke 50mm twin chamber(bladder style), which was'nt at the show to test(bummer!) the 250 and 300 can both be ordered with lighter weight ignitions and are very easy to modify for different riding conditions and power needs-very flexible design/ i've ridden a "factory team" 300 which felt as fast as my kx 500, but still easy to ride where things were "tight"-i would doubt that Gas Gas could'nt make you extremely competitive in this year's racing, best luck, jack bondus!

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
the 250s are sweet too. My only experience with a 250 was a counterbalanced bike and it felt like a kdx with more muscle. if you want to ride the 250 class the bike is a good machine the 300 just makes more with less rev. If you are the rev style of rider and want the bike to stay on the top end the 250 would be just fine.
When comparing the ktm vs GG the ktm is harder to ride because it wants to rip and skip instead of tracking and pulling(GG) Suspension is a few steps ahead on the gg. the tight turns go to the gg while wide turns Ktm. the gg can turn underneath 80s headshake they both win. Dampner is a must. Brakes, the gg has a more precise feel for better control were the ktms are stop or go. ergos are different for everyone no matter what you will have to seat, peg and bars and clamps your comfort zone. Durability goes with your good maintanance. I dont think that either are going to leave you stranded
I live in AR were thing are tighter than the west. These bikes really shine in the eastern conditions wereas dirtrider(mag) has steered the west in the direction the bills are paid it to go. WR450s suck badly here. GG are just like any other machine that you own. it has to be dialed in for you. they are mass produced with the enduro racer in mind. I wouldn't be scared of owning those shivers either. A test ride would be very beneficial to you. A Setup gg is what you will be in love with.

Smack talkin should be of great help to you too. they have the most info. on the gg. you will find lots enjoyable things there

you will love your GG in just a few miles.
Good luck Jon

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I just came off of a GG 01 XC 250 and whent to an 04 KTM 250 EXC. I would agree with the above on prior year KTMs but this one handles totally different - it turns and it brakes on a dime and has a very sweet motor.

The GG is an excellent bike and can carve up any single track. I liked my GG 250 and hated to sell it but my wife wouldn't let me get a new bike unless I did. As far as headshake goes my GG had none, event at WOT. I did not have a steering damper however and it sure could have used one for surprise rocks, roots, and ruts. I understand that the 2003 and 2004 GGs are more stable and turn even better and have heard a few riders say that dampers are not even necessary.

This KTM I own is far more planted than my GG.

Some thoughts:

The GG was alot easier to work on (except the shock linkage - definitly won't miss that). Plug changes and trail side jetting on the GG are effortless. My GG was totally dependable the 3 years that I owned it.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Hey Travis, sorry for being slow jumping into this one.

I presently ride an '03 EC250, but have time on the 200, 300 and 450.

The 300 is a smooth, grunty motor. Best ridden short shifted (unless modded). Sweet and easy to ride motor. Excellent for tight woods and doesn't tire you like many big bore 2 strokes or 250 MXers.

The 250 is still very smooth, but trades some of the low rpm grunt for longer revs. Glassy smooth, with no "hit". It definitely revs longer than the 300, but pays right off idle. For me, it's perfect. If I'm feeling lazy and not concerned about going fast, I can lug it and ride it like a small 4 stroke. If I feel like stepping it up, the thing rips!

The 450. Well, first don't let the weight scare you off when looking at the specs or lifting it off the stand. In the woods it feels very light and "flickable". Heavier than my 250, yes, but not a tremendous amount. Very comfortable and the weight is only really noticable when you have to lift it. Again, it's very smooth power delivery, with no "hit" (like the CRFs and YZFs). Deceptively fast really. Revs to the moon and seems to keep pulling no matter how high you scream it. Nice bottom end power too. Ridden back to back with a CRF it feels slow, but on the actual trail (and lap times), the difference seems to melt away. I'm told be several buddies with time on the KTM 450 that the overall power is nearly identical. The front end of the 450 is noticable more planted than the 2 strokes and feels like it EATS rock gardens for fun.

All that said, I still prefer my 250 to any of them. It's just the perfect compromise. Enough lugging ability to ride lazy, as long as your not in a hurry ;) , yet revs much quicker and smoother than the 300. The 450 is a great bike, but I still like the "quickness" of the 2 strokes, as well as the light weight ;)

With regards to forks. If you are a Pro rider, you will likely appreciate the additional performance of the Ohlins. However the Zokes are apparently 99% right out the box (compared to the Ohlins). I think if it were me, I'd put my extra money into a revalve of the Zoke (to your specs), as this is a bankable value regardless of which fork you decide on.

Top Bottom