crash5

May 26, 2000
I am entertaining the purchase of a Gas Gas EC 200. I am located in Vermont. The Gas Gas dealer is a small operation about an hours drive away.

Question 1) How is the availability of parts (levers, cables etc.)?

Question 2) How much are parts prices in general? the OEM shifter for my 00 KX 125 was $56.00:( .

Question 3) How does the bike hold up after some hard riding?

Thank you in advance. The bikes sound great, but I would hate to have to wait a long time to get parts versus the Japanese bikes and all the cheaper cost aftermarket parts.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I bought a 99' EC200 back in Feb. and have put a lot of hard racing type miles on it. It is holding up really well; probably better than avg.
Parts have been easier to get and cheaper than any other bike I've owned.
I recently ordered a shifter from GGNA and it cost $45. I bought a set of factory plastic and it was cheaper than aftermarket. Anything I've ordered from GGNA has taken only 2-3 days to get here.
You shouldn't need many aftermarket parts as they come almost ready to ride. A lot of common parts for the bike are used on other bikes as well.
It's a great bike. I don't think you'll be sorry you bought it.

EK

Dec 3, 2000
I have a '01 300XC since Jan. I have not put on as many miles as I would like, however the miles haven't been easy.

Question 1) How is the availability of parts (levers, cables etc.)? Jim Cook at Smackover MotorSports has most parts in stock and will get them shipped out on the UPS pickup. Futhermore, he is very knowledgeable about GasGas.

Question 2) How much are parts prices in general? the OEM shifter for my 00 KX 125 was $56.00 .
The parts are pretty comaprable with comparable bikes. Many of the parts are leveraged from other machines - Honda Brakes, KTM radiators, same airfilter as CR250.

Question 3) How does the bike hold up after some hard riding?
So far so good. Everything that has failed has been the result of my mistake -crash induced normal stuff: rear fender and fork guard. Other than than that it is a tough machine.
The GasGas North America race team runs their top ends over 1400 race miles between rebuilds.

A happy GasGas owner,
Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've had mine for about three months with half a dozen good rides on it as well as a few other shorter rides. The only thing that I have worn out is the rear tire.:p I haven't even tightened the chain yet:eek:

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I've had my '00 XC250 over a year. Best performing, most durable, cheapest bike to maintain I've owned yet, no BS. I can honestly say I'd buy another GasGas to replace it, but it doesn't look like its going to need replacing any time soon. Parts are easily available, and much cheaper than KTM stuff. If you don't want to drive, deal with Jim Cook at SMS for parts and accessories. Most of the common and consumable stuff can be crossed over from other bikes in a pinch. I have over 1000mi on the original piston(rings at 700mi looked fine), and it runs like new. The only thing that failed in a year was a shifter tip spring. You will especially like the ergonomics if your under 6' tall.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Parts are inexpensive

I checked out the parts availability and pricing issue before I purchased my 99EC300 this spring. The bike is very solid. I have bought parts (spare levers, and such) I have found parts MUCH less expensive than any other make. Examples: throttle cable $19, full set of OEM plastic $117,...:)

regards,
WoodChuck

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
After trying to find parts locally to rebuild a Honda CR...I had to mail order almost everything anyway to meet my time frames.

Point is if you get a Gas-Gas and have to mail order from time to time it is NO worse that the typical Japanese machine! Exception might be levers.:p

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I bought a '98 EC250 last fall. I'm fairly hard on my bike, but the cost of ownership is about equal to the cost of owning a Japanese bike. If you'd like an idea on the cost I can e-mail you a spreadsheet I put together... Mrs. Woods put me on a budget. :scream:

Wannabe

Aug 20, 2000
I have been considering a Gas Gas. Probably would be a 200, if I buy one. They looked like well built bikes. One concern for me is the size of the gas tank. The ones I have seen seem to have small tanks. One guy had a small spare tank mounted behind his' front number plate, I believe it was for gas anyway.
I like the size of the tank on my KTM. I have never ran out of gas. If the tanks on the Gas Gas are small, are there oversize tanks available?

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
My dad's 200, and another friend's 200, get 50-something miles to a tank. The Gas Gas tank is smaller on bottom, but larger on top, so it has a deceiving look. As to aftermarket tanks, I know Rich Lafferty had a fiberglass(?) tank made, but I'm not sure if anyone mass produces a larger tank.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Mine has an oversized tank from IMS

Talk to Smackover Motorsports I belive they carry the oversized tanks. I like mine. :D

WoodChuck
99EC300

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
wannabe,
I was concerned about the tank size when I bought my ec200 as it only holds 2.5 gals. I rode a 52 mi. Enduro course the other day without re-fueling and I didn't have to switch to reserve. I think it would go 60-65 mi. on a tank.
I've ridden 42 mi. Harescrambles (without re-fueling) and had probably 1/3 a tank left. If I lived out West and did long desert runs it may need a bigger tank.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I get at least 55mi on a tank (2.8 gal) with my XC250 in average to fast trail conditions. I did a sand run last year, and at the gas stop at 42 miles I still had about a third of a tank left. Even the 300s go 50 miles easy. My KTM 300 EXCs tank was 3.2 gal. With that bike, I'd be bone dry at 45 miles. We go on these 40-50 mile trail rides near my house regularly. It makes my 300 KTM buddy nuts that he has to carry oil and hit a gas station, while I get back without ever hitting reserve. I've ridden with Rich Lafferty in his riding school and seen his bike up close. He has a composite tank with a dry break for HS and GNCC.

Top Bottom