clw

Dec 29, 2000
Before I buy a new Gas Gas just wondering if anyone has any bad (or good) experiences with the following dealers:

1. Smackover Motorsports, Arkansas
2. Upstate Cycle, South Carolina
3. Cycle Specialty Co., Georgia

They all seem to support the sport through SETRA and SERA publications, but you can never be too careful.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Smackover Motorsports!! I've ordered parts, called for info, and I've been totally happy with the support that I have recieved from Jim Cook and his side kick Sam!!

I'd buy a bike through his shop in a heart beat:D

BP

Jun 25, 2000
Jim Cook at Smackover Motorsports is a 1st class person, and a 1st class person makes for a 1st class dealership !

Brian, Ohio

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
I second that! Smackover Motorsports and Jim Cook's knowledge of the bike and dedication to customer service is rare in any retail arena. He certainly influenced my decision to buy a Gas Gas.

Spurred by the lowest possible price, I actually purchased my bike from Daryl Back @ European Dirt in Silt, CO. But Daryl places the order with GGNA to be shipped directly to you and it can take 3-4 weeks to get the bike. Unfortunately in my case, GG's move to the new factory pushed my delivery date to 8 weeks. But I have no complaints about Daryl's service.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I was planning on buying a new bike from Smackover until I found a basically new used one. I will buy all my parts from them. Jim is a great guy from what I know and all I've heard. By the way I'm from Kansas so It would have meant I drive, but I still wouldn't hesitate.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I bought my EC200 from Gerald over at Upstate Cycle. He seems to know a lot about GG's and is a GG rider/racer himself. I got a fair price for my trade-in and a decent price on the GG I bought.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Thanks for the positive feedback. THat Smackover (what is a Smackover anyway) must be a good place. I did a search here in the archives and it looks like the Smackover/Jim Cook fan club.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Jim is a great guy to deal with. I bought mine local, because the dealer was special ordering a second EC/XC hybrid anyway and I got mine fast. I buy my parts from Jim however, and he is always willing to help with the tech support regardless of where you bought the bike. Great GasGas tech forum on his website also.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Hi Glenn:

Pardon me if I play dumb here, what is a hybrid? Are you referring to the 300 conversion you posted previous, or something completely different?

clw

Dec 29, 2000
So a de-tuned xc. How did you know to order it that way? Is this a common way to order (hybrid, that is)?

But, in retrospect, you now prefer a xc300, or an ec300?

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Talk to the guys that sell and race them. Thats whats so cool about the GG, you can get it your way. For less slick conditions, especially for a better rider, a straight XC might be prefered. For tighter, technical snotty woods, the smoother delivery of the EC motor is better. I really like the 250s power for enduros, its just about right, and not abusive. The 300 is a curiosity for me. If I do a conversion it will be changeable back to a 250. I have to ride a 300 a little more before I decide. If I didn't race, I'd get the 300.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Have to put in my vote for Smackover too. I am in Dallas and thought I'd drive over to meet Jim Cook personally as I've been dealing with him and Sam over the phone since I bought my Gas Gas from him last year.

Jim was beyond friendly - I was able to spend the weekend with him and his lovely wife Deb and on Sunday he took me trailriding and then to a hare scramble where we placed 3rd in the Tag Team race.

During the time we spent together we talked about Gas Gas considerably and he is very knowledgable about the bikes.

Other than SMS I would also recommend Moto West in Brea,CA where Steve is very much on top of the more open racing scene common in So Cal.

Kiwi
2000 XC/EC300

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I bought my bike from Jim at Smackover and have no complaints. I also deal with Bill at Dirt Bike Supply in Birmingham and have found them to be very good and reasonably priced.

Top Bottom