DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
The dealer I work for at nights just picked up Gas Gas, so It looks like my next bike is going to be a Gas Gas 200. My only question is which one is best suited to my riding style. I'm a "B" senior rider who's faster years are probably behind him. I ride in New England so we are deal with rocks, hills, mud and roots and sometimes all at once. What do people think of a 200 XC with a heavier fly wheel (6 oz) or should I just get a EC. Any opinions?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Dan - GGNA only imports the XC model now. However I've heard that you can order an EC spec engine in the XC. Check out the Talking Smack forum. A friend of mine in Illinois, also a Sr. B rider, recently upgraded his '99 EC200 to a '01 XC200 and says:

"My new bike is a GG XC200 which is the upgrade from my old one which was a EC200. The forks are White Brothers upside down forks, while the back is still a Ohiln. The engine is similar except for the head which is higher compression. So far, it seems to be a better power band."

How far is this dealer from Albany?

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Daniel, you traitor, leaving the green faction for the Spanish flyer !! Wait a minute, I want to jump ship too !! I have been looking into the GG machines for some time now and really think that they are great bikes, having the more user freindly powerband than the orange bike. (which is still a nice bike) Coming off a green 200 the EC sounds like a better powerband, but what my GG dealer say's is that soon they (GG) will have a computer program that can change the ignition or power cruve from the XC to the EC, you can also buy the different head if you choose, a heavier flywheel might help smooth the XC if it has to much hit. Good luck and congrats when you get it.

Bob

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Excellent choice. You can only get an XC, but it can be ordered in a special "EC" configuration. I'm an ECEA Bsr and love the bike.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Mine is an EC250. Its like having an electric motor. Very smooth. It can get out ran in the open stuff, best to keep it in the tight woods.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Thanks for the info guys, I'll most lkely get the XC with a heavier fly wheel. I'm sure no matter what I do I'll enjoy the bike.

Teton, don't worry I'm not a traitor. I do this every couple of years I went from a KDX to a Husky to a KDX to a KTM back to a KDX now to Gas Gas. I can't bring myself to buy a new bike that is the exact same thing that I already have. It's this weird KDX/ European I got:)

cackle

Mar 30, 2001
Daniel Joseph

Is ther a reason for the Gas Gas Vs the KTM? I am in California and would like to try a 200 for my next bike. I too am a 'B' senior and race a few enduros/scrambles a year and the smaller/lighter 200 sounds like it would be easier on the stamina I am just worried about hills. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cackle

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
The only reason I'm going to the Gas Gas is because the dealer I work for is selling them. If he had not got Gas Gas I would stay on my KDX. I'm sure if you wanted you could get some good arguments on the the subject of KTM vs Gas Gas.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
DJ, I sure would like to here a ride report after you get the bike, perhaps a mini shootout compared to your KDX, I know, apples & oranges, still nice to compare to something familar.

Cackle, 200's do a pretty good job on hills, my thoughts are mostly on technique and how you approach and your line's, I've seen open bike's stalled out on hills. How far north are you in CA ?

cackle

Mar 30, 2001
teton,

I'm in San Jose. I ride Clear Creek (Quicksilver National Enduro) when it's wet and there are some nasty hill climbs. It seems the older I get the more I think a lighter (200 vs 300) less powerful bike will be more fun. The local KTM dealer keeps telling me to get the 200 EXC I will love it and if I don't like it I should have no problem selling it. Now it's MXC vs EXC. I ride a 300 EXC now but i'm not sue I want another wide ratio tranny. Would the GasGas be a close ratio six speed? I'm 5'8" 165lbs w/o gear and

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
DJ -
This year I stepped off my 98 KDX200 and onto an 01 GG XC250. I'll never go back. Yes, it's an unfair comparison as the two are worlds apart. I loved the KDX because once set up, it was a fast and forgiving ride that would do anything I asked of it. With the killer linear power, quick turning and to me the best cockpit feel of any bike I've ridden, the GG is the bike for me. I know you'll dig the Gas Gas...

I've got a couple friends that buy a different new bike every year. One of these guys has gone from an 01WR250F to a 01YZ250F and now to a 01CR250 just this year. Your KDX/Euro bike habits aren't so wierd :D

steve lafon

Aug 30, 2000
Dan,
I ride a 200 xc with a 10 oz flywheel weight, you might like the lighter one better but the 10 oz. is very nice also. With the weight it is very much more like the kdx, My son races a kdx 220 and loves to ride my 200. Hills should not be a problem, as some one else said I tend to pass a lot of open class bikes on the worst hills.The tranmission spacing is like starting out in 2 nd. on a kdx and then 6 th is the same as a kdx. So it is closer spaced than a kdx.
I loove my gas gas 200 and the 2002 will be even better.After you have a gas gas I'm betting you won't want to go back to any other bike.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Cackle, you might try to hook up sometime at a race were MR.WR will be, he is in your area and rides a GG 200. His mug and bike is on the GGNA website, give him a good-ole Marine salute and he might let you touch his bike !(hehehe)
From the reports and posts on this board the GG might fit you better being under 6', the posts also say it is a better turning bike. I dont really want to slam KTM because I do like them, until I did reading on the GG I was plannig on getting a 200EXC, but now I think the GG might be a little better for me. I perferr a smoother powerband more like my KDX. A good friend race's up there on a KTM 200EXC in the super senior class (if that's not a class just think real old) in D-36 and he loves it, rides in the Auburn, Forest Hills area, (some steep hill's there, just ask my tailbone):eek:

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
crackle,

Drop me and email and I'll fill you in on my 200. I'm 5'11 190 in gear, the bike will fit you prefect...
If you woiuld like to ride it, hook up with me in Oct up at Elkins Flat, your more than welcome to give it a try.....

teton......drop and give me 20!!!!!!

Rick

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Just how much extra might it cost to order the true EC200.Also comparison wise how would the hit compare on a 200xc vs. a 200exc,anybody ridin both?

vegli

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2001
Hi,

I own both a KTM 200exc and a GasGas xc200 and there is no hit on the gasgas.

In a drag race the ktm will blow the gasgas away, in the really tight stuff it is different story..

vern

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
I have the XC200 and ride in terrain that sounds comparable to the Northeast. Here in the Puget Sound area you have your pick of sand, rocks, mud, and roots.

My XC climbs like a billy goat. I was going to get the flywheel weight but as I have gotten used to the bike, I don't think I will bother. The bike is smooth with no hard hit. Supposedly, the XC's rear shock is a better model than the EC's.

You know, I see posts by people with EC's who want more XC power and posts from XC owners who want more EC power. If you race B class (long course in my neck of the woods) I would go XC. You will be suprised by how mild it is.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
The XCs are very flexible bikes. Depending on conditions they are eaisly tuned. I know your terrain (suffered through Little Rhody). The extra snap of a light flywheel is good in the sandy courses, but on slick, rocky hillclimbs, a flywheel weight makes things eaiser in the long run. An XC with removable flywheel weight from GGNA is the ticket after its revalved for New England rocks. You will like this, considering coming off a KDX and a Husky. My 250 is set up like this, and its a great technical rock bike. Check out http://www.smackovermotorsports.com for more GG info.

cackle

Mar 30, 2001
Would the GasGas XC200 be a KTM 200 EXC or MXC. I am asking in terms af transmission. Both are 6 speed but is the GG wide or close ratio?

Thanks,
Cackle

Top Bottom