MotoTrials

Jan 31, 2004
I have found two used Gas Gas EC250's. One is a 1999 and the other is a 2001. They are both is good condition and would like to know your opinions on these two years. The 1999 bike is selling about $1K cheaper than the 2001. What are typical selling prices for these years? Also, on the 1999 bike, there is broken plastic radiator shroud. What would it cost to replace the radiator shroud?

Thanks,
Matt

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Plastic is inexpensive. The only significant differences between these two bikes would be the forks. If the '99 is in good shape, it's a fine machine. They were also offered in different configurations, some have Marzocci magnum 45 forks, some have WP 50's. I've owned two different '99s, with both forks. I prefer the WP's, they work much better.

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Yes, I was not clear about this. The 1999 models offered two different forks, WP 50 conventionals, or Marzocci Magnum 45's. The '01 will have the inverted WP.

I love the WP 50mm conventional. The plushest fork I've ever ridden. I like it even better than the............Ohlins.

MotoTrials

Jan 31, 2004
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the 1999 bike has conventional shocks. By the way, I found out that the 2001 bike is an XC rather than an EC. In your opinion, which is better for basic woods riding. I'm not planning to race it yet.

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
I have owned both the EC and XC models. They're both great. The EC is a little tamer in the motor department, and would probably be better in the nastiest of conditions, otherwise it's a toss up.

Do you know which fork the '99 has? Is it the Marzocchi Magnum 45, or the WP 50? It's easy to tell. The Zoke's have a blue adjuster knob atop each fork. The magnum 45 is a fine fork, it just tends to pollute itself through bushing wear rather quickly, and doesn't have very sophisticated internals.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Moto, the EC is a smoother power delivery motor, although still plenty fast. It just doesn't "hit" so hard with the heavier flywheel. For trail riding, I think I'd tend to lean to the true EC, just for the smoother power.

MotoTrials

Jan 31, 2004
I looked at the photo and it had the blue knobs. Looks like it has Marzocchi's by your description. With the 2001, are there any disadvantages with the inverted fork? How do the seals hold up since there are closer to the mud? Why did Gas Gas switch styles?

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm learning a lot from this forum. As my name suggests, my background is trials. I'm just getting into woods bikes and I think Gas Gas makes great bikes. My trials bike is a TXT280.

I'm not sure if you seen my other post on the "which bike forum" but the other bike I was considering is a KDX200. Have any of you owned a KDX200 before and can compare their ride with the EC/XC 250?

Thanks,
Matt

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I'm sure the switch to inverted forks was for increase rigidity and greater performance...although without a doubt marketing came into the equation ;) Seals are not a problem.

As far as the KDX, they are great little bikes. I've never owned one myself, but have ridden them and with them. They are a little more tame than the ECs, little less aggressive perhaps. In my experience, everything is a little softer...power, suspension, etc. Bulletproof reliability for sure.

pssstt...trials riders make GREAT off-road riders, you''ll have fun with whatever you get. ;)

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Just my opinion. I'd probably lean toward the newer bike with the inverted fork over the '99 with the magnum 45's. They're just less maintenance. The Zokes need attention more often to keep the oil clean and the seals from leaking. This is a minor snivel, and I would'nt spend a bunch more money just on that cause. Both machines are quite capable.

On the KDX, Excellent bike. My brother in law is sold on them, and has owned 3 since 1996! He wears one out, and just replaces it. He even rides them stock, muffler, pipe, everything. He is a very talented rider, and places well in the expert lightweight class (0-200 cc), he consistently gets Gold medals in ISDE type enduros. Needless to say, it's rider not bike, and if you are any sort of trials rider at all, you'll do great on any bike. The Gas Gas will just be an easier platform to explore the limits of your abilities on. You'll be able to outride the KDX (which can be lots of fun).

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
The KDX is very reliable I had a 2002 EC250 and could not keep main bearing in it.
My KDX is a 1989 and it probably has over 6000 miles on it and has been in two different KX125 frame. I have only rebuilt the bottom end once; and this past fall I had the cylinder re-plated.
:ride:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Mine's an '01 with the WP forks. An excellent bike, I love it to death. No complaints at all. Mine is an XC which is a bit snappier but it's still easy to ride, just a bit exciting in the mid. The only EC I've ridden is a 300 and that was awesome as well, esp on the hard climbs.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I owned an '01 XC250. Damned good bike. The WPs are very tunable. The XC motor is also tunable w/jetting, flywheel weight, and pipe if so desire. In other words, you can tune for a wide range of riding from lugging through rocks and roots to ripping through thick sugar sand. The bike rocks. The linkage shock is a PITA no matter what model. Cross over parts from other models can save you some money. I believe the '01 motor definitely more dependable. Although the '01 has the harmonic balancer instead of the ???? crank which makes the '99 a bit smoother.

MotoTrials

Jan 31, 2004
Just wanted to update you...

I decided to go with the 2001 XC250. The bike is in great condition and has several mods done to it (like an LTR jet kit and power valve cover). The bike will be delivered next week. I can't wait to try it out in the woods!

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Matt
:cool:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Good choice! I ride and have ridden the xc for a few years; I prefer the xc over the ec in most situations.

Good Luck! The GG is a great machine.

Top Bottom