Gas Gas on the Ice (Ice, baby)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
After finally getting my GG back together and set-up for the ice, mother nature refused to cooperate. That was until this weekend. Four inches of snow and sleet last Thursday followed by rain and temperatures in the 40s on Friday made for a perfect base after a cold front rolled through early Saturday morning. Sunday afternoon I loaded up my bike and gear and drove to a local pond where several riders have a short oval carved out. There was one other rider unloading his bike when I arrived. Two other riders showed up while I was there and several people stopped to watch including DRN’s very own BRush.

Riding on the ice is truly a unique experience. I hadn’t been on my bike since the Black and Blue Enduro back in early November. So it didn’t take long for a few of those infrequently used muscles to let me know I’d been getting lazy. Going around a counter-clockwise oval may look easy, but your arms and legs get a serious workout. It’s a truly unique experience being able to lean way over in a turn on the ice. Also, being a typical woods spode, I’m not used to holding it WFO for an extended period. The traction that ice screws provide is unbelievable. This also tends to tear the ice up quite a bit. A couple big holes developed in the exit of the turns, which sent a couple of riders down hard. I had couple close calls, but never got slammed.

I had a blast and hope the weather stays cold for a couple more weeks. Unfortunately most of the races around here have been cancelled due to lack of ice or thin ice, so I may have to wait until next season for my first race. However, just riding on the ice is definitely a great way to stay in-shape over the winter. Next time I’ll have to make some changes in fork height, tire pressure and jetting. The absolute best part was not spending an hour cleaning the bike and gear after getting home.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Sounds fun. Now if the temperature just keeps dropping maybe Lake Purdy will freeze over and I can give it a try (NOT).

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
hope the weather stays cold for a couple more weeks.
Ya, I find myself wishing that same thing all the time. :scream:

Good to hear you had such a great time and suffered no injuries, I don't think I can stomach any more pictures of your black & blue parts! :p

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Speedy - But that's my most popular pic. :confused:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Ice is SO much fun! To bad the weather hasn't cooperated!

Riding in the woods is fun with screws as well!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…