Razor85

Aug 16, 2002
I am planning on buying a new bike in the next couple months and am really looking at the Gas Gas EC line.

I have not had the opportunity to ride either the 250 or 300 but of all the posts that have been written everyone seems to think the 300 is an easier bike to ride. I am a VET rider and will compete in the SETRA harescramble series on occasions.

The question I have is how different is the power output between the 250 and 300. Could I get the 250 and tune it to run more like the 300, which is said to be very smooth. I am not looking for the most peak HP but want a smooth power delivery. The reason I say this is that I am concerned that the 300 could be a handful at times.

Would a flywheel weight on the 250 give me these results or is there anything else I could do to make the 250 less peaky but more linear?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
The 250 is very linear from stock! A great bike that you will not be dissapointed with! And yes you can put on the fww.....not needed on the ec! The ec250 has the 250 rush with the lugging ability and low-mid of a 4stroke....they are really chuggable! Very easy to ride, not intimedating atall, so much fun you will not ant to get off!

bluesboy

Mar 8, 2004
I've owned EC250 & EC300 and would personally go for the 300. I found the 250 similar but the equivalent power comes in at about 1000rpm higher up the scale than the 250 and subsequently doesn't "hook up" quite so well in sloppy conditions I found. I added a flywheel weight to my EC250 and it did help a bit.
I don't think you would find the 300 intimidating. I certainly didn't and i wouldn't consider myself a fast rider.
If you want to know more about the 300 take a look at p12 of this forum where I asked a similar question "Gas Gas EC300 Question" theres lots of info in that link.
Either Gasser will be a good move but if it was me.....

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The 300 can be a very "lazy" bike if you prefer - short shift and lug it around in almost/all situations. When the going gets tuff and I'm tired I prefer the 300 because of the 250 midrange punch. That being said I'm selling my 300DE(XC) to go back to the 250 because I've become "lazy". I made this decision after speaking with a friend(AA/ISDE/GG Dealer rider - watch for Brian Storrie this year in Poland!) and telling him I need to get in better shape. Keep in mind I stopped riding for 10+ yrs and have been back in the saddle for 3 years and up until last June was riding the C class at enduro's. Hopefully the 250 will help regain my stamina so I can compete in the 40+ B class.

Did I mention my '03 300DE is for sale?(Sorry for the shameless plug! :uh: )

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I also went from a 250 to a 300 and thought it was a good move. The 300 is the ideal bike in tight stuff, and hills. The torque of the 300 really shines. Where I like the 250 better is open MX stuff where it revs faster and has more hit.

I'll be staying with the 300 :)

jlk_250

Jul 8, 2003
It seems like there are more GG 300 fans on the internet than there are in real life. I’ve ridden a number of XC250s and own an EC300. I agree with what others have written. The 300 is not a handful and the XC250 has a midrange hit. Peak HP is about the same for both of them. I can see how someone might prefer the 250 but most of the time I’m very happy I’m on a 300. It has allowed me to a lazy rider which is probably not good sometimes but I can ride longer and harder on it than I could on a 250. It just depends on what you’re looking for.

Jon
’01 EC300

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
It's pretty much all been said. You don't need to worry about the 300 being a handfull, it's actually extremely smooth and controlable.

The 250 is the more aggressive of the two for sure. Like Enduro_Nut said, the 300 is somewhat more lazy a ride, the 250 seems to require a little more aggression. I've ridden both and find I LOVE my 250. I like the little more aggressive nature personally. The 250 is exceptionally smooth, particularly compared to a Japanese 2 stroke, but is a midrange motor, more so than a "grunter". It doesn't have great topend, it's the only thing I would even consider changing about my motor in fact. The 300 is generally easier to ride and less tiring over a long race.

Razor85

Aug 16, 2002
Is the only thing different between the 250 and 300 the top end. It seems to get the smoother power curve there must be other components to effect power. (Pipe, timing, flywheel weight etc.)

What could I do to the 250 to get the same power curve as the 300?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Razor85 said:
Is the only thing different between the 250 and 300 the top end. It seems to get the smoother power curve there must be other components to effect power. (Pipe, timing, flywheel weight etc.)

Due in large part to displacement I don't think it's possible to get the 300 power curve. I'm sure timing play's a role but 50cc's is hard to replicate.

jlk_250

Jul 8, 2003
Razor85 said:

Different year 250s and 300s have had different setups. Some years had crank stuffer and reed spacer differences. The cylinders, heads, and pistons are of course different. I believe the ignition curves are different. Also in the USA for some model years there have been both EC and XC engine configurations for both the 250 and 300. With aftermarket parts you can also add flywheel weights or change pipes, reeds, and jetting. I prefer a Doma pipe on my bike, for example. It’s surprising how many tuning options there are for these engines.

But as they say, there is no replacement for displacement. You can’t get a 250 to behave exactly like a 300 without literally turning it into a 300. Like I said before, it really depends on your preferences. They can all be ridden fast.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
300 :cool:

Mully

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
jlk_250 said:
as they say, there is no replacement for displacement.
Very true and the "real" key to the 300s performance. Ignition setting as different on some models, but the displacement is still the big difference'

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
Razor 85, if you want smooth managable power and a bike that is a joy to ride after 50 miles of trail, go with the 300 with an auto clutch. I will never ride a bike without one. I just returned from the Ohio National and the slick mud/clay was a blast staying 1 to 2 gers higher than normal and the 300 has loads of torque to get you to the top of the hills :cool:

Top Bottom