slinger34

May 1, 2006
I have a 1999 KX 125, and i found out one our state parks by me has open atv/dirtbike trails. The trail is a 8 mile loop and i was wondering if i will be able to make it on one tank of gas? I think i will have no problem , but I havent ever tested the milage or even cared to. Thanks, Nick

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
I think you should be ok.. I have been able to run 10 miles during a harescramble before running out of gas.. And that is racing not rec riding. If you are worried ride 2-3 mile one way and drop a small gas can off. Go back fill up, then ride your heart out.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Hmm while were on this topic I have a very similar question.

I'm going to be racing in a 1 hour Hare Scramble this weekend with the CR250. I'm trying to figure out if I will need to pit stop for gas or not, what do you guys think?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I did a hare scramble on my 1999 KX125 a few months ago. Went 42 miles before pitting for gas, and wasn't dangerously low. Of course, riding conditions and jetting will make a big difference. Running rich will burn considerably more fuel, and running wide open through soft sand will obviously burn more than tooling down a hardpack 2 track.

mox69 - you should easily be able to make it an hour

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
adam728 said:
I did a hare scramble on my 1999 KX125 a few months ago. Went 42 miles before pitting for gas, and wasn't dangerously low. Of course, riding conditions and jetting will make a big difference. Running rich will burn considerably more fuel, and running wide open through soft sand will obviously burn more than tooling down a hardpack 2 track.

Wow 42 miles... that seems like a lot.. My 99 is jetted spot on. I run 105 VP with amsoil.. Yes play riding might get me a good 2-3 hours. But when i race, its gone before i know it.. My last harescramble was 5 miles per lap. I pretty sure i got only 2 laps maybe 3 before i ran out of gas during the race. that is tops 15 miles.

What are you running for fuel and oil. What mods? Just wondering?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
15 miles? What kind of terrain was it? Were you dragging a tractor behind you? Did you crash a lot and loose gas out the carb overflow or gas cap?

I have never heard of anyone running out in that short of time. I was comfortable going 35+ miles on my old 94 YZ125, and the same with my (now sold) 99 KX125. I just ran a 70 mile single track race on YZ, I pitted at 35 miles and wasn't too terribly low (and I was jetted really rich). A little bit slower guy I ride with a lot did the whole "C" loop (48 miles) without stopping on a 2004 YZ250 with a stock tank.

My KX125 was stock, save for an FMF Turbincore Q silencer. Premium pump gas with a splash of cheap octance booster, Maxima Super M mixed around 28:1, 155 main jet, stock needle in mid position, and I can't remember the pilot, but I think it was a 45. I can double check jetting, I just sold the bike last weekend and still have my tuning sheet laying around.

I'm bad at math, it was 39 miles, not 42. We were doing 13 mile laps. I was going to stop at 26 miles (2 laps) but kept going because I hadn't been on the pipe too terribly much. There were some sand washes and faster single track stuff, but also lots of rocks. I was out of shape and in "survival mode" for that race.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
95xr250 said:
letsride y do you use 105 its a wast of money high octane isint hot gas its resistnce to knock.

Uhh...what?

First off, what's "y", "wast", "isint", "resistnce" ?

I'm Canadian and I don't understand, now you know you have problems. :nener:

Second, if i translated this correctly - "high octane isn't hot gas". I think he probably figured that out already, as he's paying significantly more for the 105 octane, so it'd be logical that he'd have a reason as to why he should choose to pay more.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I use to race a 125 in Hare Scrambles. I found at race speeds.....aprox 15mpg. Casual riding, I've gotten over 20mpg. I have found that a little 125 motor is working and revving so hard, it actually eats MORE gas than a 250. (of coarse, I can't ride a 250 for all it's worth)

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I have a 01 KX125 and its killer on gas. I think its cause I ride in deep sand wide open all the time.. because I only get like 1.5 hours on a full tank.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
rm_racer said:
I have a 01 KX125 and its killer on gas. I think its cause I ride in deep sand wide open all the time.. because I only get like 1.5 hours on a full tank.

Yea, but how many miles is that? Even if you averaged 20mph, which is slow if you are "wide open all the time" then you would cover 30 miles. Not too horrible. And unless you are in the dunes or some serious sugar sand washes I doubt you are wide open all the time.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Well the race this weekend is a 10 mile loop. I'm guessing (hoping) I can go at least 3 laps, hopefully 4. I think I will talk to some of the other racers and see what they are planning on doing.

I'd honestly rather stop and fill my tank halfway through, compared to running out of gas 5 miles in the the back of the woods :)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
mox69 said:
I'd honestly rather stop and fill my tank halfway through, compared to running out of gas 5 miles in the the back of the woods :)

Keep in mind, you don't have to fill it all the way up. You can keep a 1 gallon milk jug about 3/4 full. Invert it quickly over the gas tank, punch a hole in the bottom and WHAM!!! cheap quick fill, great for when you just need "some" gas. Just be sure you actually need however much is in the jug....

phoneman

Apr 17, 2007
We rode 34 miles last weekend and 42 miles the weekend before that and my brother in law was riding a 1999 125 kx. We rode a medium pace in the mountains and he is 180 lbs and was not terribly low on gas either ride.

Top Bottom