biznizzle60

May 28, 2007
Ive been running 32:1 on my Yz80, but I always foul plugs, I have a 290 Jet, I droped the needle, Ive switched oil brands, and I still foul out plugs after 20 min. of short riding in the parking lot. :bang: Is this from Vforce Reed Valves , or is there anything els I can do?? (Anything is appreciated)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It is probably from short rides in a parking lot.

If short rides in the parking lot is what you expect to be doing for the foreseeable future then I would recommend going through the jetting exercise to get your bike running properly for a parking lot.

I am concerned, however, that if you do that it might be detrimental if you took the bike out on a long ride or made it to a track where you could really ride it hard.

An interim solution might be to change to a hotter plug. Your plug will have a number on it, something like BR8ES. The number (8) indicates the heat range of the plug. Going to a smaller number, such as a BR6ES, would make the plug run hotter such that it would burn off the oil and avoid fouling.

If you eventually get the chance to ride trails or a track where you are pushing the bike a lot harder then you should either check your plug frequently or switch back to the cooler range plug.

Rod

biznizzle60

May 28, 2007
Thanx, I actually switched from the BR9ES to the BR8ES, and it did better. I also changed the jet from a 300 to a 290, and Im probably going to go to a 280. By the way what is the "Jetting excersice"?
-Dan

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
biznizzle60 said:
By the way what is the "Jetting excersice"?
-Dan

It sounds like you are doing it, or at least part of it. You read the plug, make a decision to go up or down on the main jet, run the change a bit and read the plug again. Once you settle on a main jet you adjust the metering needle to smooth out any "bog".

It has been discussed many times, do a search on "jetting" and you will find some detailed instructions.

Rod

Top Bottom