1996KDX200

Apr 13, 2001
A couple fuel/oil mix questions:

1. What oil do you prefer? Why?

2. Bike manual says 32:1 mix but oil says 50:1. What is best?

3. Is there any special procedure for changing oils or can you just fill up the tank with different stuff whenever you want?

I have been using Amsoil and want to switch to Castor927. What are your thoughts

------------------

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I like Amsoil 2000 and mix it at the 50-1 as perscribed by Amsoil. Castor is OK if you are an avid engine rebuilder.

Smells great though....

Mix everything in a can before pouring into your tank...

Jason2001

Jan 3, 2001
I agree with NRDO. Castor is for race bikes that get rebuilt daily. Great protection, but to "gummy" for normal maintenance intervals. Any synthetic oil is what I recommend. I prefer 32:1. Some mag did a test years ago that concluded that 32:1 produced the best ring sealing and therefor the most power. You can't go wrong at 32:1. Plus it's easy to remember 4oz/gal! As far as brands go, that's a religious topic that I won't go near.

------------------

BONE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 1999
Hey 96KDX
Thats the same year as mine, I use Golden Spectro 40-1 runs great( by the way thats what Fredette runs)

I agree with Jason, Castor is to gummy, its hard to keep your bike cleaned out.

I did try that new Castrol tts and it worked very well, but Ill stick with Golden Spectro.

I hope this doesnt cause an oil battle
its just my opinion.

Later,
BONE

P.S. going to Spodefest?

------------------
BONE
96 KDX 200

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I'm not starting anything here, but I thought I would give a little history on Amsoil 2000.

(this is what I was told by a reputable rider)

Amsoil 2000 is a thinned version of Amsoil 100-1 oil, with some extra additives.

They went to the 50-1 ratio because everyone (including me) was afraid of 100-1..

That being said, mix it as you please. I actually end up with about 45-1. (just a smidge more oil than the recommended amount)

I have also picked up some of the new Mobil 1 synthetic 2-stroke oil. I haven't tried it yet, but with a company that makes a quality oil, it should be good stuff. Anybody else try it yet??

Moj

Nov 5, 1999
SE MN
Amsoil @ 50:1

------------------
Moj
96 KX 250
95 KDX 200
--------------------------------
It ain't no fun if you're not a little scared...

Top Bottom