Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Last night the lines at the gas stations were a block long. Most of the stations stayed at their normal prices or maybe raised it .20-.30 but Caseys General Stores raised theirs to $4+ dollars. By this morning everyone was back to the normal prices.

Both Illinois and Iowa say they are going to investigate the price gouging.:)

I don't know if this would work but IF you paid for your gas at those high prices, and used a credit card, I think you could at least dispute the amount when the bill comes. Tell them you want it lowered to a fair amount. They aren't going to want all the bad publicity and may agree to lower it. Nothing to loose by trying.

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
Yesterday--

My company sent me a Q-Tracs message to the truck (Satellite) stating that all drivers loading at refineries should make sure that we have all the proper identification and paperwork.

I can see the security around me tightening up ---especially with the upcoming Olympics.

There will be delays dealing with this tightened security, but not enough to cause the shortages that these gougers are declaring----remember who they are folks. :(
Personally ---I am willing to pay $10.00 a gallon to see that we never again import a drop of oil from the Persian Gulf!

The irony is that it was the money we pay for their gas that funded this attack!

Mr. President---open up the oil reserves and clear the way for domestic production!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I never crosspost but this is an exception

In response to the gas prices..
Exxon Mobil says it has frozen wholesale prices to its dealers, and the company says it won't tolerate any price gouging by its dealers. The state (Texas) attorney general says he'll prosecute gas dealers who jack their prices up. You can report possible violators by calling 800-337-3928 800.252.8011.

Note this is for us Texans but I'm under the impression that it's the same every where else. Contact your state A.G. for info. There is no shortage of fuel.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Those who are price gouging should have their licenses revoked, otherwise a consumer boycott should do the trick. I would be tempted to fill up and not pay ... I wonder if stealing gas from these guys would be considered a 'crime' ie. stealing from the criminals ?!

Yeah, some people sure are strange, have a panic attack, and create more fear and confusion. Now if we had a scenario like the one in Atomic Train, and you need to clear the area and have to buy gas ??! :think

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Prices same here...

Amen Longtime and Bundu!!!!:) You guys are exactly right!:)

You know... the people that are all worried about prices goin up and that were gonna run out of gas. They go fill up all theyre cars, gas cans, gas drums, and anything else they can find to store gas in arent helping the matter!! They dont seem to realize that by using more=buying more=higher prices... Oh well, at least theres some people that can see the light, like Iowans and Illinoiers.:)

G

GlowMe

GlenP, please read

GlenP, just how do you distinguish between a Non-American, and an American? I would sure like to know how I could distinguish between them by just looking. Or, is it just that any station where service sucks must be Non-American? I am sure that we all would like to know how to perform this miraculous feat. If (and I am saying if) you are judging whether or not someone is American strictly on their race, or on the color of their skin, then you still have allot of growing up to do. On the other hand, if you are talking about doing some real searching into whether or not the owner of said gas station is in fact an American CITIZEN, then I commend you for taking the time (probably very much time) to make sure that you are not boycotting a gas station because of appearances. I am awaiting your response. :)
;)

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
Thankfully the prices have not gone up and I have not seen any lines. In fact everything is really quiet around here. I went to the supermarket last night and the people were nearly silent, same today. Very quiet around here.

G

GlowMe

Longtime, I do not give a SH%T about PC! I do however care when people discriminate based on race, color, or religion. People go out and make a statement only buy gas from an American. Just how are we to tell if someone is American. Oh, that’s right, only white Anglo-Saxon people are "TRUE" Americans. If we just sit back and let someone come to the wrong conclusion, or do not correct him or her when they say something ignorant, then we are just as ignorant as they are. If this offends you, tough, I am white but married to an Asian woman. I can tell you that racism does exist, and it is often displayed by those that do not consider themselves racist. GlenP’s comment, although well intended displays a little lack of thought. I was trying to get him to think of what he said. Being PC is not calling a garbage man a garbage man, but instead calling him a “sanitation engineer.”
:D

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Hey GlowMe -- let me ask you a serious question. Profiling is now the subject du jour. Would you profile? If you worked airport security -- tomorrow -- and five arab males, ages 17-31, wearing Allah is God t-shirts, looking "menacing" - in your subjective opinion, of course, each carrying two large, bulky looking carry-ons approached your security station entrance to the gates, would you be any more wary -- any more likely to question them -- any more cautious -- any more likely to ask to see their bags, than the 70 year old, fit, white women wearing Betty Crocker t-shirts? How about if one of the Arab men had a shirt that said "the only good American is a dead American?" And another had instructions on bomb making?

Be truthful.

I think we all make judgments EVERY DAY. Does race enter into it? Yep. So does age. Gender. Clean shaven. Educated. Choice of clothes. Respectful. Even (gasp) familiarity with the English language and American social norms. Attitude. How we carry ourselves. What we wear. What we listen to. What we openly profess, for crying out loud. So when Glen P said "American", HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE IT MEANT ONLY WHITE AMERICANS?! HMMMM??!!! Who's the one jumping to conclusions here, after all? Maybe he's talking about many, many other things, that a person can see without taking "very much time" to do a background search.

You've put forward the false notion that there are only two alternatives. Make no discriminations between people, or do the equivalent of an FBI background check. Your bolded statement that anyone who makes judgments (on facts with which you are entirely unfamiliar), must believe that only White Anglo Saxon Americans are Americans is exceedingly offensive.

This type of claiming the moral high ground, putting things into your opponents' mouths, and attributing to them clearly awful leanings, is the very definition of PC. It's not about calling janitors sanitation engineers. That's respect. It's about trying to stifle thoughts of others, without trying first to understand them, by demonizing them even if that demonization is based on unfounded assumptions.

But you know what, I don't feel real comfortable having an argument with a fellow American right now (gee -- I don't even know your color). Plus I know you had a legitimate point to be made -- I just think you went overboard. So please take the last word.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GlowMe

Originally posted by GlowMe
If (and I am saying if) you are judging whether or not someone is American strictly on their race, or on the color of their skin, then you still have allot of growing up to do. On the other hand, if you are talking about doing some real searching into whether or not the owner of said gas station is in fact an American CITIZEN, then I commend you for taking the time (probably very much time) to make sure that you are not boycotting a gas station because of appearances.
;)

LongTime, did you ever read my post? If you did you would note that, saying that we should only buy gas from an American sounds much like we should only buy gas from those gas station attendants that speak good English, look like they were born here, and/or make us feel comfortable.
As you will note in my first post, I ask him how do we tell. It wasn't until you decided to come up and say, "Can you do know analysis without an FBI file? I know that's PC and all, but I think it's nonsense.” that I had to write more. And as far as my bolded statement, it is a view that I totally despise, but one that many do adhere to.

The first part of my post was to ask GlenP how do we distinguish between Americans and Non-Americans. The second part was to get him thinking that we cannot tell who is American and who is not by looking at them. Ask the Japanese descendant Americans that were placed in the “internment camps” in WWII because they were of Japanese heritage what it is like to be classified by your looks. USA is a melting pot; we cannot classify anybody as a “standard American.” If we do we take the best part of America and throw it out the window.

Maybe my post to you was too strong, but I have lived many places and seen many forms of discrimination and I will not stand idly by and not say a thing about it. (or something that can be misconstrued as such) And, I hate Politically Correct. PC came about because people that were running for office did not want to offend any person. Anybody can be PC and still be unforgiving towards other people. So when you said that I was being PC I took offence to it. If that was not your intent, then I apologize. And on a final note, I care enough about this fine country to have dedicated my life to serving my county in the armed forces, and believe me; I am not getting rich doing it. I am however, doing something I believe in and I do care about every single American citizen, whether they are born here or naturalized, as I am sure you do as well.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Glowme,

I had a very long reply to your private message that was lost in computer blip here. I do not intend to repeat it. In short form, I DO KNOW the nationalities of many station owners. I personally find the manners, personal hygine, and customer service of the Arab owners to be offensive and prefer not to do buiseness with them. I do not HATE them.

Don't tell me I've got growing up to do, you have no idea who you are talking to or my life experiences. I've been around the world, worked for a foreign firm, spent time in and adopted a son from Russia, so don't go there. I've got ten years on you and I was riding when you were still in diapers. Perhaps you should spend more time reasearching the core forums of this site, for bike info instead of trying to play moderator of political correctness.

I usually do not participate in these threads, but the heat of the tradgedy got to me. I feel I'm in the norm as far as my views, like Longtime and the others.

I will not respond to any additional private messages, so don't waste your time. Please don't address me again until you have a motorcycle related question.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by GlowMe
And on a final note, I care enough about this fine country to have dedicated my life to serving my county in the armed forces

Good. I think you'd be surprised to discover all the service rendered by other DRN'ers. We once had a thread on it -- it lasted many pages. Personally, I'm a Disabled American Veteran (fortunately a very minor disability compared to the vast majority of what I see at the VA).

You never did answer the question as to would you personally "profile" in my example. Feel free to pm me.

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Caseys Offers Refunds

In Central Illinois the Casey stores were selling gas at $4.02/gal. My wife was forced to purchase some at this outrageous price. Yesterday she visited the store and was reimbursed back to the original price of $1.73/gal. Luckily, she charged the gas and had a receipt.

This by no means "Lets them off the hook". I have emailed Caseys Corporate Office voicing my disgust. I informed them they have lost a customer for life(not that they care). In the immediate future, I will also email them when I make a purchase at a competitors station and let them know how much it is ultimately costing them. In my small town, Caseys ran the mom and pop gas station out of business in less than a year. Now, we are stuck with a money hungry corporation.

The Casey employees are not to blame. My wife had two detailed conversations with the local manager concerning the price gouging and was informed that the managers boss called her at home(twice) to change the price immediately.

Boycot Caseys!!!!!!!

Top Bottom