Gas Tank cracking KDX220 2001

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Spoke with Rick again at Kawa Customer Service. No problem getting me a second tank, dealer already has it on order. The BEST news is that Kawa has superceeded the old tank to the 2002 tank which they claim is a different plastic compound. The part number for the 2002 tank is 51001-1668-6W. Make sure that's the one you get should you need one in the future.

J

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
Got my new tank today!!!Too bad,it's the old part number.I hope I don't have the same problem again.But,a new tank every six months,makes me feel like a factory sponsored rider!

FaTCaT

May 12, 2001
well I found mine cracked too today....not all the way through yet but still cracked more then half the way around in 2 different cracks....hope I get the same treatment as you guys...going to call them tomorrow:eek:

kipmax

Aug 29, 2001
Hmm, I have been riding plastic tanked dirt bikes since... Well, since they started putting plastic tanks on them ;) and haven't run into this problem until recently. A friend of mine just had to replace the tank on his kid's TTR125 playbike for the same reasons.

Do you suppose the manufacturers have changed the type of plastic? Or, could it be that the gasoline producers are putting in some new funky additive that is causing the problem?

JimVowell

Jul 19, 2001
Hey got my tank and it is the old part number. It's pitted big time around the filler cap (not cracked), like there were air bubbles when it was pour into the mold. Im going to try it for a while and hope when it cracks again that KAWA will still honor the replacement (hey at least they came through this time)on an as is product thats pretty cool....

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
Tank Cracking

I have a 2001 KLX300 and the tank on this bike also cracked.Kawasaki replaced it under warrenty within a week.This may sound silly but the oneway inline checkvalve on the gascap hose would not let me blow through it in either direction.Me thinks that the tank may have pressurized and cracked at the weekest point.I cut the oneway valve out of the hose just in case this had anything to do with it.

Prewire

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Curiosity got the best of me. I looked at the tank on my98 KDX220 and the damned thing is cracked!! Thank you guys! The war starts now!

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
Checked my replacement tank today after washing my bike.It is cracked too!!!!I am going to the dealer monday,after work and try to get a new one.I heard that the KX'S are having the same problem.THIS IS GETTING REAL OLD!!!:(

assertthis

Sep 18, 2001
I'm waiting on a new tank for my 2001 KDX 220 also. The dealer claimed ignorance on it being a known problem, but I convinced them to ask Kawasaki for a good-will warranty. They agreed. Hopefully the replacement I get won't crack too.
There is no excuse for these tanks. I haven't even crashed the thing yet! I'm such a wussy!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
assertthis

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
I just got back from my dealer.He is going to order another replacement for me.This time,I requested that he order the superceeded part number instead of the regular part.Hopefully this will work.
Also sent a letter to Kawasaki Consumer Relations.My thinking is that this should be a recall,not just a few guys that read this post.
Time will tell.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I know assertthis and yes he rides like a girl, he has not harmed his bike in any way... trust me on this.

I also went with him to the dealer, and while I pretty much refuse to buy from them anymore, they acted about like I would suspect. Pretty close to rude.

they claimed 'There is no new part number, Kawasaki has reinforced the tank'.

We were wondering though what year they put the checkvalve on the vent hose ? Do you think the pressure that can build in the tank with a checkvalve could cause any of this ? Are the older tanks just as weak in that area but don't suffer the cracks because we don't have said checkvalve ?

-MD

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
The new part number was posted earlier in this thread.It is 51001-1668-6W.
When I went to my dealer today,I requested that he order the new number.So far,both my dealer(TUF RACING)and Kawasaki have been good about replacing the defective tanks.It's just a pain in the A##,to keep running down there.
I'm sure that their getting sick of seeing me ,too!!
Still love the way my KDX performs.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
2001 Cracked Tank - Kaw replacing with no hassle

I noticed a crack around my tank filler neck today. The crack went 3/4 around the filler neck and was pretty noticable..

Called the Kawi Cust Serv number, got a call reference number, and was directed to take my bike to my local dealer for inspection. Service guy at the dealership inspected and called Kawi while I was waiting... Kawi authorized a full replacement..

My new tank should be here in a week or so.. So far, not a hassle one. :cool: They even gave me my choice of green or black, I selected black.

I will follow up once I actually have my new tank in hand, but I wanted to add my bike to the list of many who have had their tanks replaced. The threads here on this forum made my plan of action a breeze.. Very helpful, as usual. Nice job everyone!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks! My tank will be ordered today once the dealer confirms he can get me a black one. (My preferance) He seems to think I won't be able to due to authorization by part #.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Well, after waiting several weeks for the black tank to make it's way out of backorder status, it has arrived. I installed it this moring.. Looks darn good.

Kawi came through for me with no hassles, even with the black tank.

Green's Kawasaki in Oak Ridge TN gave me no hassles and seemed glad to help me out as well.

That is the way customer service is supposed to be, my props to both parties. :cool:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I got mine in last week. My local dealer was a real stinker in helping me though. He kept telling me there would be no way Kawasaki would warrantee the cracked tank. He said it was due to a fall onto a rock or something. I had to provide photo copies of my registration and title. Since I was not the orgional owner, he said that Kawasaki was balking. Then he called one day last week and said it was in. He also told me he would not give me a black tank because the part # is different than the part # Kawasaki authorized him to order as a replacement.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Yup, a REAL piece alright. It seems like every time I go in there, it's like they are on the defensive and are prepared to go toe to toe with the customer instead of standing shoulder to shoulder. Not just me, I notice their treatment of other customers as well. As I was waiting my turn to be served when I went in to pick up my tank, the owner was finalizing the paperwork for a little offroad motorcycle to some kid and his divorced mother. It was obvious as they showed little Johnny how to work the throttle and clutch, this kid had not a clue about anything with a 2 stroke bike. He won't be able to start it and even if he does, I'm quite sure he won't do the premix correctly. Mom also bought MX boots for him. As the bike was loaded into the trunk of their car, little Johnny pointed out that a buckle on the boot was defective. The owner told them to contact the manufacturer. It's 75 miles round trip for me to the next Kawasaki dealer. I won't be back into this one, that's for sure.

Top Bottom