Gas Tank cracking KDX220 2001

JimVowell

Jul 19, 2001
Anyone else having trouble with their Gas Tank cracking under the cap. Ive have bikes for over 20 years and never had this problem. Seems like a factory defect....

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
hardy tanks

my 99 kdx220 "gouge", had the left-side top radiator shroud plug pulled out (corn-holed an XR650 on a muddy hillclimb last spring), but no cracking! the plug welded right back in with no huge problem, and has been snug through a number of crashes. and..., it didn't leak through the plug hole, so i was able to complete the ride that day!

i searched for a replacement tank when it happened 'cause i wasn't sure if it was gonna leak or if i'd be able to replace the plug. interesting to note that clarke doesn't make a tank for newer model kdx's. if you're looking for a replacement after-market tank..., i think you're pretty much stuck with IMS.

have fun!

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
There have been a lot of reports on this board regarding tanks cracking around the filler neck. As I recall, they were repaired under warranty.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
I seem to recall Kawasaki taking care of these problems even after the standard warranty expired. You might check with your dealer. Seems pretty dangerous to me what with gas leaking all around your goodies and all....
:eek:

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
Jim I have the same problem on my 00 220. My local dealer was no help. So I called Kaw. consumer dep. and they said tell your dealer to call the 1800 hot line I asked for the hot line number ,but didn't get it. Several people on this site have gotten ther tank replaced. I have not had such good luck:( Let me know if you get any better results

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I would mention the fact that it's a safety issue and Kawasaki has replaced others, when out of warranty, because of this...

Now to keep my 99 from doing it...:scream:

someday

Jul 10, 2000
After my local dealer, who I DID buy the bike from, acted totally disinterested after a couple weeks of patience on my part I called Kawasaki's Consumer Help 800 number. The guy who answered made note of my problem, acknowledged it was common, gave me a service/work order number, then told me to go back to the dealer with this number and have them call Kawa tech. That's the secret 800 no. dealers only have. I can probably dig up the letter I wrote to my dealer that has a contact name at Kawa and so forth on it. I'll email it to you if interested. Ask me at jeffd@plowhearth.com. Got mine replaced out of warranty a couple weeks ago.

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
What do you know;just checked my 2001 220 tank neck and it is cracked.Does anyone know for sure if Kaw is replacing the tanks under some sort of recall?Maybe we all need to call or e-mail the same dept. at Kaw so they are more aware of the problem.I honestly EXPECT them to replace it for free.I am also considering selling the bike to avoid any other headaches.

JimVowell

Jul 19, 2001
Ok, so check this out. I went to the dealer. The service manager said that I had to call Kawasaki and get there authorization and then they would call him back and replace the tank. So I call Kawasaki and they told me that the service manager is supposed to call the Hotline (some dealer only number) and talk to them about getting it fixed. I find it hard to believe the SM did not know that to begin with...The dealers closed today so I let yall know what happens tomorrow when I talk to the genius (SM) at the shop. GEEEEZZZZZZ.....

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
I called Kawasaki this morning and they said to take it to my dealer for a "good will waranty" check.My dealer(TUF Racing)looked at it and said he would order me a new one right away.No charge!!Kawasaki will cover the replacement as long as it's not from a crash.

KEONDGO

Dec 12, 2000
got a new one

i called Kawasaki first, they said it sounded like something that they would help me out with and told me to go to my dealer and have them call their number. i did, my dealer called and not only did i get the tank but they even gave me new graphics on my 01 kdx 220. this is why i have a kawasaki dirt bike and jet ski.

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
Jim my dealer ordered a new tank for me. No charge :) I don't understand why your dealer hasn' called the hot line and got you one ordered:think Good luck Darin

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
Mine was ordered,last Monday.Any idea as to how long it takes for the replacement?Also,I'm hoping that the new one does not come from the same batch!

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
BIGFOOT16 My kaw. shop called today and told me my tank was in. It took about a week and a half:cool:

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
Take old tank

My wife went to pick up my new tank today. I had to work and didn't know she was going. So... I drive there after I got back from the job site. I walk in and they ask if I brought my old tank? Long story short we both drove 25miles and my tank is still at the shop. These people know me and my kids by name. and are still worried that I won' t bring the old tank back:silly: I have never wronged this shop ever. Just seems lame to me. So take your old cracked tanks to get your new one.:D

someday

Jul 10, 2000
This had been linerging in my mind as a possibility, but you know what SUCKS - my "new" tank is cracked now too! Monday begins WWII (diplomatically of course) on Kawa and my dealer. Tomorrow's race is much more important now:) though. Will keep all posted.

J

Top Bottom