Are late model KDX fuel tank cracks a common problem?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JacDX200

Feb 5, 2005
My 2003 KDX200 just developed numerous cracks in the gas tank. My buddy has the same bike, and the same problem.

We live in Phoenix, AZ area where it is HOT. Bikes are garage kept, but garages are pretty hot in the summer. His leaked at shroud mount threaded insert, mine has cracks on the front and bottom of tank where it sits above the frame.

I have a couple of questions about this:
1. Is this a common problem?
2. Is it more of a problem for black vs green tanks? (Never had a problem in 12 years on my '90 KDX200)
3. Has anyone sucessful fixed a plastic tank or know of a company that does?

He tried a green IMS tank. It was ugly, green color "match" was WAY off, lots of scratches right from IMS. He returned it. Clark and Acerbis don't make em. He found an OEM tank for $275 with shipping. List is $356.

Thanks

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I hope it's not an Arizona thing, I just moved here!

It is something that pops up on the forum quite often. Usually it's around the cap there the tank splits. Mine (*knocks on wood*) is alright so far.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
do a search. there's lot of threads in this forum regarding this...Kaw had a problem with the tanks and they will warranty you a new tank, but you have to get a dealer to do the work on your behalf. Details are in the tank threads in this forum.

BTW, mine cracked along the bottom near the frame and I got a new one from KAW no problem. No $$$

JacDX200

Feb 5, 2005
Timr, I did do a search and did not come up with much on cracked tanks (much to my surprise) tho when I used the search link in your email I did. Thanks, I'm really hoping to not have to pay for a new tank. Was your tank black or green? Trying to see if it is one more than the other.

BTW latest crack (and worse, so far) is just above where the shroud is inset... weird stuff.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
adam728 said:
I hope it's not an Arizona thing, I just moved here!

It is something that pops up on the forum quite often. Usually it's around the cap there the tank splits. Mine (*knocks on wood*) is alright so far.

Pardon the hi-jack........

Adam, you sure do get around, what happened in GA?
Hope you enjoy AZ, riding should be way different!

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
yep my 2000 tank just up an cracked one day, got a another off the auction site. 130.00
I did find a dealer that would take care of it but I already tossed the old tank.

Feb 26, 2006
Throttle cable is a culprit

My tank has serious wear from the throttle cable. So I got a slightly longer cable and zip-tied it to the frame so it would rub on the tank

tmx

Feb 24, 2006
Yes, I realize this thread is three years old. Just wanted to update it with some current info.

I just bought a '98 200. I'm at least the fourth owner, and the bike is obviously looong out of warranty.

As I was disassembling it for a good cleaning and once-over, I discovered the tank was cracked at one of the mounting bosses. I took it to my dealer on the outside chance they'd warranty it, and - quite unbelievably - they did. Got a brand new, 100% perfect green tank in less than a week. For free. I was floored.

Bottom line - Kawasaki is still warrantying these tanks, and it apparently does not matter how old it is or how many owners its had.

-B

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
tank fix?

The fuel tanks are made from cross lined THAT IS linked OOPS poly-ethylene, most buckets & oil bottle containers are the same material. Harbor Freight sells a plastic welding kit, It looks like an electric soldering iron with a flat triangular shaped heat pad. It comes with filler material & instructions & is easy to use. My neighbor's bike had a leaking crack on the bottom of the tank & I took a shot fixing it for them using oil bottle material cut into strips for filler. It melted together nicely, then i cut out a patch & welded the patch over the area. All this took about 20 minutes start to finish. It's been working leak free for 6 months now, their kids hammer on it daily.
OEM replacement is best, but if the problem is discovered the night prior to a race or ride there's an option. I've used it 3 times since then, successfully. :whoa:
Best regards, Porkchop...

Last edited:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
green parts

Perhaps kawasaki intended the tanks to be biodegradable, they ARE GREEN ! This would allow them to track who's buying their used bikes & covertly where their products are being used :whoa: Porkchop

Last edited:

green blood

Jun 22, 2000
i have gone through two cracked tanks on my 2000 220. i just put on a clarke on two weeks ago. And by the by i am in Arizona as well. Bike kept in a cool garage other than when riding. The clarke was a great fit and the color matched exactly. no issues so far.

Top Bottom