Gas Tank Decals

falcon1

Mar 20, 2003
What is the trick to getting graphics to stick to gas tanks? They seem to start to bubble off in just a few days. Any ideas?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
try this , drain the tank , scrub the tank with soft scrub with bleach,rinse well and dry, wipe down with acetone, let the tank set like this for a week with the cap off, scrub ,rinse,dry and wipe again right before you put on the new graphics, let the graphics set on the bike for a week before you fill it up. and probably most important is to drain the gas out of the tank after each ride and leave the cap off . lay a rag over thegas tank opening loosley so no dust can collect in thetank but the gas fumes can escape easily.

since I finally broke down and bought graphics for my bike this is going to be my plan of attack. remind me after awhile and I will let you know how they hold up.

YZruss

May 13, 2003
Take your time when applying the decals. Don't touch the back side.And use a hair dryer where there are any curves or bends.

YZrider111

Dec 5, 2002
I just recently put on new graphics (one ride on them). When i put them on there were no bubbles in them. Now bubbles have popped up everywhere. I am not sure what to do. I tried poking them with a razor blade but there are just too many of them. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it the gas vapors going through the plastic? Thanks

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Erics book suggested cleaning the tank surface with lacquer thinner before applying the decals. I did this on my YZ over 1 year ago and have not had a bubble problem. I never drain my gas tank. I also removed the 1 way fiting in the vent line. I think this vent fitting lets pressure build in the tank. The pressure has to go somewhere.

bwr549

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 8, 2003
make sure that your tank is at least room temp. clean of all dirt old adhisive and oil of any kind ie. finger prints. use a hair dryer to pre heat the graphics, this will activate the adhisive and help the decal form to contours of the tank. Finally firmly press the graphics onto the plastic all over, then I will hit it one more time with the heat. this is a pain, but if you rush it you are throwing money away

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…