smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I've been looking for a black tank for my '93 KDX with absolutely no luck. My green tank is in perfect shape but I'm thinking of going to black plastic and would like a black tank (or some sort of black graphics for the tank sides). Anyone know of where I might find one? Anyone have one that no longer wants it? Thanks for any help.

5-0

Jan 29, 2001
Unfortunately the aftermarket for the 89-94 is fairly weak. No aftermarket manufacturer currently makes a tank for these years so you are stuck with either the stock green or white, and hope you dont crack it or you will have to find a used one or spend about $300 for a new one from Kawi. I have a white one now and am looking for a green one so if in your travels you find one let me know! Otherwise, good luck. Oh yea, Factory Effex is the only manufacturer that currently has a graphics set for the shroud, I have it and its great looking.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
what do the FX graphics look like?
I've seen then advertised relatively cheap but no photos of them :(
however, if I by some miracle I do find a black tank I'll be more than happy to sell you the greenie.

5-0

Jan 29, 2001
The graphics are modern, splash style with a green and dark blue background.The KDX is red faded into yellow. The sure beat the boring block style blue and white stockers. I bought them through either Dennis Kirk or Hipersports, it's Tucker Rockey p/n 02-6935 and sell for $24.95 a pair.
The readers ride section of the JustKDX web page Page IV shows a 90 KDX that used a CR125 gas tank and shrouds from a 1995. It also required the subframe and seat from a 97 kx125 along with the plastic from the same. The guy said it was a relatively straight forward conversion and the picture looks factory. I think that tank may be available in black? The guys email is oceanblu@netins.net

Last edited:

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
smb_racing, A friend of mine got all the black plastic for his kx he could buy. It looked real good when he put it together. But just a few rides later it looks older than the stock (97) plastic. It shows every scratch and rub mark. I don't know what brand he got. But I thought I'd let you know about his experience.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
thanks dkb
I've thought of just leaving it green. It would certainly be cheaper, but I can't seem to find good graphics for the bike that aren't neon colored :scream: and IMO black bikes don't need graphics to look good. Granted that it's a vanity issue and not a performance issue. I even considered the custom graphics market but that's also quite expensive.

Top Bottom