Gas tank/radiator shroud question

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
One of the nut inserts for the radiator shroud on my '98 gas tank is spinning and the bolt is stuck. I can grind or drill the bolt head off and remove the shroud, but where do I go from there? Anyone ever encounter this? The insert is probably available, but how is it installed? Can I use something like p-tex (ski repair) to repair the (assumed) oversized hole for the insert?

Edit- just checked parts diagram. Looks like nut inserts are not available. Sheesh! :ugg:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
same problem on my 1990---some say to just pull the insert out, but I wouldn't want to butch that job and have to spend $300+ for a new tank. I too would like to know the best way to tackle this. BTW---without taking the effort to look on mapquest, how far is Woodstock from Tallahassee?

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
cicone said:
same problem on my 1990---some say to just pull the insert out, but I wouldn't want to butch that job and have to spend $300+ for a new tank. I too would like to know the best way to tackle this. BTW---without taking the effort to look on mapquest, how far is Woodstock from Tallahassee?

I guess about 300 miles

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I know this has been discussed, but don't remember the responses.

Here's a good one:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=83111&highlight=insert+brass

...where Randy Nelson said:
well i got the bolt out finally. i tried various things , oil, jamming stuff around it ,and i finally started to get it out by taking a rotary file and cutting plastic around the nut @ 1inch. i was hoping to get a vise grip on the more exposed nut/insert. i removed about 3/16 of plastic and was just trying to get on the nut . the brass nut will break away when you try to grab it hard. i then tried to heat the nut with a plastic welder[ hot air, small stream] and try to move it out futher to get a better grip. i did get a better grip and was trying to hold the nut and also turn the bolt stub .......... still would not come out!!! finally i had a good grip on the nut and still that bolt would not come out.ugggggg i heated it up again and this time the nut actually pulled out of the tank. the tank is pretty thick there @ 5/8 thick. leaving a nice square hole and no fuel coming out. the actual nut/insert is brass and about 1/2 inch long square and has channels around it. i put the insert in a vise and my big vise grip and the bolt stub finally came out.!!!! to repair the tank i cleaned out the square hole of debris[ the inside of the hole was rough] and coated the insert as well as the hole with epoxy. i left the suface low by @1/8 inch .. after the epoxy dried i then filled the rest of the hole with clear plastic from my plastax repair kit . i sanded it smooth . it looks pretty good and the hole is operational. bottom line is make sure the bolts are the right size and it probably wouldnt hurt to put a little grease or anti-seize on the bolts .

Amen on the never-seize part. The dis-similar metal corrosion problem is a big deal with brass. Heck, even LocTite (blue) will do the job...keeps air out of the threads. That based on my inserts/bolts are all fine and I always use LocTite...use it everywhere.

A completely unrelated note: If you haven't done it yet, take out your carby fuel bowl screws and put some never-seize on them, too. Be prepared to have problems with them, also. A hacksaw to cut a slot for a common screwdriver is likely in the cards...if you can't get to them with a pair of vise-grips. Put stainless (harder) allen head screws back in......with never-seize! Oh..and get yourself a ball-end allen wrench to take'm out!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Racer X said:
One of the nut inserts for the radiator shroud on my '98 gas tank is spinning and the bolt is stuck. I can grind or drill the bolt head off and remove the shroud, but where do I go from there? Anyone ever encounter this? The insert is probably available, but how is it installed? Can I use something like p-tex (ski repair) to repair the (assumed) oversized hole for the insert?

Edit- just checked parts diagram. Looks like nut inserts are not available. Sheesh! :ugg:

I've got a late model tank (95-04 style) that has all of the inserts still in good shape. It is one of those tanks that had the top where the gas cap screws on crack around the base. I was told that the kawasaki dealer would replace as it is a known defect, but my (ex)dealer won't follow up for me, so I replaced the tank myself. If you are interested in it, I will give it to you and you can dig the inserts out. Maybe even pass one on to cicone there. If you are willing to wait for me to dig them out, I can mail just the inserts. I can't promise how long that will be though. The only thing I ask is for the shipping to be covered. Let me know.

plague11

May 13, 2004
spinning bolt!

Racer X said:

hey there racer x i had the same problem with my 97 lucky urs is on radiator shroud i found my problem wen i needed a rebuild ******* anyways i di grind the bolt head of mine.but its ur choice i had to! i reckon if you r gunna go to the local nut or bolt shop and get a nut an bolt of simliar thread size regarding ptex? i dunno that product i am having mine plastic welded using a plastic welding glue im from australia so i dont know wats available where u are. anyways later mate good luck !! CHEERS

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
tank?

skipro3 said:
I've got a late model tank (95-04 style) that has all of the inserts still in good shape. It is one of those tanks that had the top where the gas cap screws on crack around the base. I was told that the kawasaki dealer would replace as it is a known defect, but my (ex)dealer won't follow up for me, so I replaced the tank myself. If you are interested in it, I will give it to you and you can dig the inserts out. Maybe even pass one on to cicone there. If you are willing to wait for me to dig them out, I can mail just the inserts. I can't promise how long that will be though. The only thing I ask is for the shipping to be covered. Let me know.

skipro3, I'll take that tank off your hands and gladly cover the shipping. Let me know the costs to zip 30189 and I'll gladly paypal you the funds. And I'll be glad to mail an insert to cicone, too. Please email me at xxxxxxx

Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom