Duane

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
My son's XR 100 gas tank is leaking around the frount lower left mounting bolt. The tank must of cracked on a crash. Any suggestion on how to repair it?

Thanks

crf450guy

Sep 1, 2003
Just buy a new tank it isnt worth the risk. Dirt bikes can go up in flames in a hurry in a situation like that.......but its your son not mine

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Iused some clear epoxy once on my KDX tank. It held long enough to get a new tank ordered. I don't think I would have trusted it as a permanent fix, however. Somehow 2.2 gallons of highly flamible material in my crotch is not that much fun.

01RM125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2002
My tank was cracked near the top cap (an area which experiences little flex/stress) when I got it used. Once I finally found the crack (I was sure it was the cap leaking, NOT) I patched it with JB-Weld and it has held great for over a year.
A new tank would be best, but if that’s not an option, try the JB-WELD. I drained the tank. Washed it out with Dawn dish detergent. Rinsed, Rinsed, Rinsed,… Let it dry. Washed with alcohol. Then JB-weld. Worked for me.
I have known of people who cleaned as above, then melt the tank back together (via heating a mettle rod, and using that to melt the tank). I am amazed that this hasn’t leaked yet.
I have also heard of (but never seen) “plastic welding”. Maybe someone else could shed some light on that.

Top Bottom