Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Well I did it now, I cracked my tank on the side at mid point. Tried flexable body filler with hardner, tried JB weld as well It won't stick. Must be because of the fuel, cleaned up the repair area with varsol, thinner and still no joy. Help. Its a pain riding with 1/4 tank. HaHa

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Look in your local yellow pages under: "Welding, plastic" ( or sometime under "snowmobile repairs". )
You can get this repaired for 20 or 30 bucks.

alleycat

Sep 25, 2002
You can get a new tank from kawi for 325.00. They are the only ones that still make them for the 89-94 bikes. You can get used ones on ebay for around 40 to 60 bucks. The tanks for the newer bikes seem to go for a little more. My tank was split near the petcock. The previous owner had tightened it until it pulled the tank into it the petcock. I used a screw driver that I heated with a propane torch to dig out the crack. The split was about 3/4" long. I made a channel over the split that was 1/4" wide and 1" long. The plastic is very easy to work with and I just worked it back into the channel. Try to get into the plastic as deep as you can but don't go too far. I have not tried the tank yet but it looks good. I got one from ebay that I put on the bike. If you take your time IM sure you will be able to fix it. You will not find anything that will stick to the tank. Even if it does it will fail over time. Mine was fixed with epoxy and when it failed it dumped fuel all over the patio. I guess that was a lot better than if It had happened when I was ridding it!

Top Bottom