Tomdes

Jul 24, 2001
Has anyone ridden both the EC and XC version of the GasGas. I am specifically looking at the 300, but comparisons on any displacement would be helpful. I was wondering how the power delivery compares, low end torque,mid and high range hit, etc. Also i was told that 98 to 100 Octane is required for the XC.Also, does anyone know what modifications are done to convert the XC to an EC?Also, any comments on GasGas reliability?
Thanks

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I have a '00 ec300 -- love it. I played on the track with it a couple of times, and it was a world better than the XR4 I came off. The XC forks would be better for mx, of course, but the current suspension works just fine (course I'm a total mx spode). Took it out on the trails finally, and whew! What an awesome, awesome ride. Feels light, suspension perfect, and is a torque monster. Took a hill in third, was totally ready to get on the pipe, work the clutch, drop it down, etc. . . . never missed a beat. Motored to the top without a hitch -- or feeling like I was getting tossed off in the whoops or ruts. Felt totally confident and in control for the whole ride.

As to the power curve -- perfect. Coming off the four stroke I was expecting violent hits, etc. Instead, I get a perfect combination of controllability yet increased grin-factor. And, if you ever think it's too electric, just turn the throttle to 100%. Not 90%. Not 95%. 100% -- and try to wipe the smile off your face. (of course I'm not coming off a 250 mx'er -- but others who are from two stroke world have said the same thing).

I know that's only a few rides, and from a spode no less, but I give the ec300 a gigantic thumbs up.

Last edited by a moderator:

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I have a 250 XC and it runs fine on pump gas. I do mostly play riding and a few enduros. For the enduros I wish I was on a GG 300. But since I came off of a KTM 300 I thought the GG 250 would be a bit more subdued (I am bonehead). Do a search on this forum there are some previous posts concerning the differences between EC/XC. It is my understanding that the importer will only be marketing the XC this year. I recall last year that the forks were zokes on the EC and WPs on the XC. According to previous posts on this web site an XC could be orderd with an EC spec'd engine.

Whichever 300, XC or EC, you get you will SMILE.:)

Top Bottom