sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
Iam looking into buying a new '06 gasgas de300. I have test rode a '05 gasgas ec300 and loved it. The dealer is telling me the only differences are the lights and the tires, does anyone have any information on the differences between the de and the ec models? I do not want to buy a motorcrosser or I am defeating the purpose of buying a gasgas which is already set up for the woods instead of modifing a motocrosser.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Sounds right. My 04 DE doesn't have a horn or turn signals. It has a headlight but the switch for the turn signals, horn, and light has been removed and a regular kill switch is in its place. I guess it depends on how the dealer orders them. Some come with a regular number plate and no headlight or tail light.

Don't worry the DE is not a MX'er. Enjoy, I love mine.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The DE has a smaller/lighter flywheel and the motocross ignition which can't power a full wiring harness (well, anyways) and makes it feel more like a traditional two-stroke (mid-range hit). The EC is the full European version which has a massive flywheel and full street gear (blinkers, horn, headlight, taillight). I have an EC200 that's been converted to a DE and I love it. It has plenty of smooth power, but enough snap to help in some situations.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
The 200 must be different from the 300. Last weekend I was able to ride an 06 back to back with my 04. The 06 had a stronger mid (Absolutely no hit compared to my 98 KX250) when the ignition switch was on sunshine and was smooth as silk on the rain setting.
Of course it is possible that Gas Gas specs their bikes differently depending on whether they are going to the US or Canada.

headbanger

May 7, 2000
I have a 04 DE300 and like the bike very much. If you go with the DE you can also add
a flywheel weight if you like. But if you want to get a plate on the bike for dual-sport
a EC would be the way to go.
Good Luck!
You may want to post on talkingsmack or gagagasridersclub web site.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The differences between an EC and a DE for that year bike are...

The EC comes set up for street legal use in europe and has the following differences from a DE...

1. DOT and ISDE legal knobbies - Michelin Enduro Comp III tires.
2. Full wiring loom including horn, high/low beam switch, turn signal wiring, etc.
3. There is a small subframe/fender support that bolts onto the rear of the subframe to support the rear fender extension/taillight.
4. A rear fender extension/taillight/license plate holder.
5. Comes equipped with a kokusan 2k-3 ignition rated at 110 watts.

Relative to the EC model - the DE has...

1. Michelin non-DOT legal S12 tires front and rear.
2. an abbreviated wiring loom (no turn signal wiring, no horn, no hi/lo beam switch, etc). They were coming with a headlight - but has a single wire that is typically tied to the low beam.
3. The DE model doesn't have the rear fender support (an extension to the subframe to support the weight of the taillight, etc.)
4. The DE model doesn't have the rear fender extension that incorporates a tail/brake light and mounts for turn signals.
5. The DE models comes equipped with a lighter kokusan 2k-2 ignition that is rated at 40 watts.

In terms of how the two motors will run side by side - the DE will have more accelleration with less flywheel effect - but you can bolt flywheel weights onto the DE to dial in the "grunt" you want. Three different weights of flywheel are available. You can look in the tech articles section of the gasgas riders club for an analysis of the moments of inertia of each option. If you get an EC - it is pretty heavy and no flywheel is needed.

So, I think to answer your question - the DE is a good choice for you, it is a few pounds lighter than an EC for purely off road use - but, have the dealer install a flywheel weight for you if you ride in tighter terrain or "slop".

jeff
webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
www.gasgasrider.org

sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
Thanks for all the info guys. Picked up my new Gas Gas 300DE on Saturday. But I ended up working around the house all day Sunday (happy wife, happy life.) The initial test ride will be this week end and I am looking forward to it.

A strange thing about the bike though is it comes with a tail light and but no headlight. The weirdest thing is everything is there to hook up a headlight including the switch its just stuffed behind the number plate. I will be picking up my headlight this week.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
sprocket74 said:
Thanks for all the info guys. Picked up my new Gas Gas 300DE on Saturday. But I ended up working around the house all day Sunday (happy wife, happy life.) The initial test ride will be this week end and I am looking forward to it.

A strange thing about the bike though is it comes with a tail light and but no headlight. The weirdest thing is everything is there to hook up a headlight including the switch its just stuffed behind the number plate. I will be picking up my headlight this week.

Ahh, great choice :nod: ...one thing I have rarely seen (if at all?) was anyone cussing the choice of going gasser, I spoke with lots of owners before I bought and all were soooo enthusiastic about their ride, the only whinge being why didn't buy one ages ago!
I'm not sure if there are a few set up tweaks you need to do with the DE (as any bike to be honest) but gassers are more race ready than most. As this isn't a model we see in the UK I couldn't advise but there are few standard tweaks for the EC range.... over fat and super safe jetting being the main issue. Check out the 'smackover' website for these tips as this is purely GasGas site, and like DRN real friendly and full of helpful members.

Ohh, let us know how you get on, good luck on the 1st ride

Richard

Happy riding and welcome to the world of gassers :cool:

sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
Well I have discovered a great anti theft mechanism on my GASGAS. The kickstand, it attacks anyone who uprights the bike without paying attention, snapping back up with enough force to draw blood on the unsuspecting victim. Two victims so far lol....

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Yup, like a bear trap.....there is a gruesome thread on the smackover website about some unfortunate guy having the stand whip up whilst he was checking the chain slack .....he ended up with a dental bill and stitches in his face.. :yikes:

I'm used to it now, but makes me laugh when the unknowing grab the bars for a feel around and say "ooh isn't she nice.... s**t, me leg" :laugh:

good ride though?

Top Bottom