GasGas - Pipe and CoreII problems

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Long, but any input would be a major help.

Bike XC300 2001

I’m having problems getting my FMF Gnarly and new Turbinecore II to lineup. In order to get the core II to lineup with the brackets on the subframe, the head of the pipe is pushed forward off of the Exhaust Spigot. The Exhaust spigot has two O-rings and the pipe is not flush over the inter most O-ring. I could see the O-ring, I used some of the cooper gasket sealer to bridge the gap, but I’m wondering if this is okay or will it cause the bike to run flat due to possible leakage. In order to get the core II to lineup at all, I hade to take a hammer to it a bit and it took 3 of us pulling, pushing, and bending to bolt it up. The old core II fits with no problem, but it’s a shell only and I’ll have to pirate the internals to use that one. The new Core II is for the 99-02 years and should fit, but it has a slight rounding of the snorkel canister union, where the old one was flat.

I’ve owned KTM’s, Huskys, and Yamaha and never have I had a bike give me such a fit. Last night I had to grind down the petcock valve to get it to work with the IMS tank. I could get the tank on, but once in place with the shrouds the valve was up against the jug so tight I couldn’t turn on the fuel. The new plastics had to be modified (cut and ground) to bolt up and the Guts seat cover, don’t get me started I was ready to trash it and go buy a KTM or Moose cover (looks like it will fit).

I’ve finally got the bike together (took two days, I’ve never had that with any other), less the front wheel (truing now) and I just hope I can run it with the gap at the pipe. If not back to it and I’ll cannibalize the new Core II to rebuilt the old one. Go figure FMF wouldn’t sell me a replacement internal Turbine unit, they would only sell complete silencers.

Thanks for any input I should have it running today with luck.

Top Bottom