woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Howdy,

I just replaced the wheel bearings on the rear wheel of my bike (99EC300). A couple comments then the questions. It shows quality that there are three wheel bearings and not only two. However, is there suppost to be a spacer between any of the bearings. Why do I ask this? Because the wheel seems to be dragging on something as I spin it by hand with the new bearings in. (its not the chain, brake or mud flap) Could the seals be the source of friction? and is this normal?

thanks for any assistance.

PS: the seal on the single bearing side is flush with the hub, on the double bearing side the seal is set in by about a 3/16 IS this normal or did I screw-up? :think

regards

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
My '99 has no spacer between the two bearings on the chain side. You might want to check the bushing that runs through the hub to make sure that it's not crooked.

Both dust seals should be flush.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Bushing thru the Hub?

Mine does not have a bushing thru the hub that I am a ware of? The bearings set against a ridge in the housing. My Kaw had a spacer tube between the bearings, is the GG supost to have one as well?

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
No, don't believe there is a bushing.

Good to see you on the board Mr Woodchuck :)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Mine has a bushing through the hub. I believe the seals are flush, but I'll check.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I just changed my rear bearings two weeks ago and I had a bushing running through the hub (had to knock it to the side to pound the bearings out). The very first time that I changed bearings I put the bushing in crooked and it would rub as the wheel spun.

Given that we both have '99's I would have thought that they'd have been the same.

In retrospect, it might better be called a spacer than a bushing running through the hub?

Last edited:

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Mystery solved - Spacer required

Thanks for the positive words and technical input. I've been traveling and not albe to get access to the net for a couple days, anyway this is what I determined:

A "spacer/ bushing" is required. The purpose of the spacer is to prevent sideloading on the bearings. Without the spacer the forces applied (by the rear wheel spacers) as the axil nut is tighted, push the inner race laterally with respect to the outer race. This side loading (thrust) is not what these ball bearings where designed for. If the force is great enought even a new set of bearings might be damaged. The "spacer" supports the inner race and prevents lateral movement and side loading on the bearings, thus it is required (or atleast highly reccomended).

My old bearings fell apart when I went to take them out the inner race, cage and balls came right out. The outer race stayed in and was difficult to remove. I had these bearings replace a while back and they did not hold up real well, the lack of a spacer could have been a major contributor.

I'll be riding at Turkey Bay in Kentucky this week end, I'm looking forward to testing out my new Michelin trials tire on the Kentucky rock piles.l

Have a great Day!:)

Top Bottom