Gasket removal and surface prep, what do YOU do?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I think that the intellegent life forms in drn land could share their gasket removal and surface prep techniques for my edification.
I am ready to learn some new tricks here and save some time.
I currently use a razor blade in conjunction with a snappy gasket scraper. After the chunks are off I use 180 sandpaper and scotch brite to create a plush fresh finish.
This is a timely process, is there a a better way?

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I use brake cleaner and a scotch brite pad.

B

biglou

I do what you do, SFO. Take it nice and slow. I start with a razor blade and finish up by wiping the contact surface with brake cleaner or some similar solvent and a clean, white rag until there is no evidence of anything 'cept a surgically clean mating surface.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
For flat surfaces I like to use a palm sander. Just enough to clean the metal down without taking any metal away.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I use paint stripper to bubble up the really stuck gaskets,and I use a paint stick to scrape. then i use scothc brite pad to polish it up

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I used a 400 grit emory (sp?) cloth to get it fairy clean then finished it up with some gas and a rag. Turned out nicely.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…