Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
just a small venting but must be passed out.
what is it with everybody and killing gators??????!!!!???
Just because you receive a call about a gator in someones back yard, doesn't necessarily mean you have to kill it. You can relocate it. I understand about the 12footers, but some trappers even kill the 2-5footers. they aren't even full=grown yet!
It seems that every gator they catch, they kill.
Well, i'm not telling them about my little gator buddy, i pass everyday when riding my bike. :silly: :cool: :eek:
i thought our gators were endangered at one point or another????
i mean there's a $500 fine just for touching a gator or using a part of gator (i'm wrong about that in some way, but o well)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Alligators in Florida are NOT endangered. Matter of fact because they were getting close to being listed as endangered the state inacted several laws to protectec them years ago. Since the population has boomed and there are tons of them again. The state has opened alligator hunting and traping to those that are licensed. BUT, because of those laws that were inacted when the population was low, unless an alligator is actually attacking you or a family member, if you kill one without a license you go to prison for 5 years.
To top that off, at least im my neighbor hood amimal control takes two weeks to come out after you complain and won't remove any alligator under six foot. We had a seven footer attacking dogs in the neighborhood but no one was allowed to do anything about it and by the time animal control showed up it had moved to another neighborhood.

I'm sorry, but screw the greenies, I want my land to ride on. And while we are at it screw the alligators and sharks too. I want to be able to walk in my neighborhood and go to the beach without having to worry about getting eaten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
:eek: ooh. ok. thanks for correcting my misunderstandings, as now i fully understand everything now.
we did have two 8-12ftrs (somewhere in that range), down a dirt road, not far from us on a back road. well, one of the gators literally chased a neighbor into his house. they picked up one, but the other is still on the loose:scream: :eek:
someone had told me this AFTER i had gone down that same road to the very spot where they were the next day. i was down there, jogging, and i heard the noise that those gators make deep in their throats, i did see a pair of eyes in the water, and only then on that night did i truly figure out how fast i could run in a distance estimated at a 1/2 mile!!:scream:
but, yea, someone tells me about the gators, how big they were; i remembered the night, remembered how close i was, and was lucky to get out of there alive. because when i was running did hear a splash in the water, and i was not about to turn my head to see.:eek:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Back in the '80s' Johnny O'Mara wore 'Gators'. They were those nylon boot covers that kept mud out of your boots. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.):)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Those smaller ones are MUCH more tasty!:D

If you think gators are endangered, just take a lil ride accross the Tamiami!

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
Jaybird - i must agree with you, they do taste a lot better.:)
....wonder if the same goes for frogs:think

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
Gators are dangerous--

---we have a big problem with road gators in the summer up here in Wyoming.;)
The ones laying on the other side of the fog line are ok, it's them pesky ones curled up in the travel lanes that are fearsome. :eek:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Nope, Maru....with frogs the bigger the better!

Mmmmmmmm!:D

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Maru,
Not to scare you, but the ocean from Daytona to Cocoa beach, especially New Smyrna Beach, have the highest concentration of sharks in North America. And the fresh and brackish waters around Merritt Island and Kennedy Space Center are second only to the Everglades for alligator population. Oh, and an alligator can run 35 miles an hour for short distances.
:scream:

Even so, there has only been one human death attributed to an alligator in Florida in the last 50 years.:)

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
HiG4s - hey, you didn't scare me, and yea, i know about all that. I've lived in merritt island all my life, my dad's been to the beaches (surfing) here for about 30 years. Us locals, know just exactly what goes on around here.
35mph, yes, i know that too, but, them gators are a bit slow when it comes to quick turns (zig-zag).
But, yea, its amazing, only one death from an alligator, hundreds of incidents (not fatal) from sharks.

fremontguy - hey, i don't smoke!:scream: it was an honest jog. i jog every night, and 3 1-hr vigorous bike rides every day, rain or shine. plus weightlifting.

Top Bottom