Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I have a 98 1/2 ton ext cab 4wd 350 3.73 truck with the 10-bolt and towing package. I can get all the numbers except for the ever elusive GCWR. Does anyone know what the rating is for my truck? This rating beats the trailering weight as listed in the owners manual should I get pulled over. I like to be legal and would hate to buy a trailer that caused me to exceed the gcwr.

Please?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Good deal, that's what I was looking for. Unfortunately my stickered gvwr conflicts the link at 6200 lbs but I have heard the 12000 before and I believe it. Totally empty with full gas and the driver I weigh in at 5700, this leaves 6300 for trailer weight. My limiting factor however is the lowsy gvwr which means empty I can only carry 500 lbs of tongue weight. If I throw the wife and soon the kid in there, I become quite limited by the poor gvwr. Forget about a load of campfire firewood in the bed, I'd be tent trailer Joe.

Thanks bsmith, you found it.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I don't think they would ever check your weight, I think when I registered my truck I payed based on a 12,000 pound towing/hauling capacity. I think I can raise or lower that if I feel I will hall more or less :think: .

I often haul two ton of hay in my truck and it looks over loaded, but have never been polled over.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Here's the deal... I have an 8000 lb gvwr registration that I can raise to 10,000 lbs for 20 bucks a year on my half ton. That registered weight doesn't really mean anything once you've exceeded your stickered weight. So despite weighing in at 7995 lbs I will be forced off the road because I have exceeded the manufacturers GVWR limit and am "unsafe". I may not get an overweight ticket for it but I will not be sent merrily on my way either.

You can't change the stickered GVWR limit, 6200 lbs in my case, with air bags or a different rear end or anything. I certainly have illegaly loaded my truck several times with something as little as a load of sheetrock. 400 lbs aint much but it takes 2000 lbs to compress the rear springs to the point of bottoming.

So I must try to elude the DOT with tricks like air bags and removing the 1500 tag from the side of my truck. I know full well I will exceed the GVWR but I would like to stay within the GCWR. I doubt I will get pulled over and I feel confident 1000 lbs of payload won't pose a safety problem for my fullsize truck.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hey, bsmith!
Back in a former life, when I was training horses...I could get 72 bales on my F150. Not sure what that weighed, but it was one heck of a load!
:)

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
:eek:
Even if they were the small two stringers 36 would probably make a ton, thus two ton.
I think you went over the GVWR ;)

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
From some of my younger days I recall a bale being 80 lbs min and some were 120s with the plastic baling twine. I bet that was a site seeing the f150 rolling down the road. The load probably weighed more than the truck. Should have taken a picture.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Finally something I have knowledge/experience in ;)
Depending on the hay type, moisture content, and baler all help determine the bale weight. With the same tractor and baler I can make grass hay@ 50lbs a bale and second cutting alfalfa around 100-120lbs at the same size.
I can adjust the tension on the baler and it creates more or less compression, which thus puts more or less hay in the bale.
The moisture content in the hay also determines the bale weight, too wet and you risk the chance of mold, to dry and you lose leafs.
All the hay we put up this years is running between 75 and 90 pounds. :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
When I started working on farms (12 years old) the farmer used to bale them as light as possible for us young kids...around 40-50 lbs. I don't think I've ever handled any over 90 lbs, though, even the ones tied with wire.

Top Bottom