Gear Bags

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I got a gift certificate for xmas and been eyeballing gear bags for a while but can't decide which one?? I want to be able to carry boots and all. The Fox large bag looks good, been looking at the Thor bags too, the Kicker ,do they have enough room for everything? How about the Large Answer bags? I don't see any need for the wheelie type bags but if they'll hold up I'd consider one.
So Whatcha got?

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Hockey bag from WalMart. Can't beat the size, features, price or quality.
Works out to less than half the price of a "MX" bag.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I got a thor kicker bag a few days ago. PLENTY of room for boots helmet and tons of gear. It even has individual pockets for i think 4 or 5 pairs goggles i can't remember. the thing is huge. until a few days ago i've been using one of those walmart type bags and it barly fit all my gear , and it was always all mixed up because there wern't any pocket seperators. anyways the kicker bag has plenty of room for stuff and then some. im really happy with it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I have a THOR bag, not sure what model but its the one that folds over.. It has weeles which come in handy actually.. Nick (9yrs old) can put it away or get it for me with it fully loaded.. The corner ripped but not a problem.. Only thing is, is the bag seems a little too small, not many storage compartmens, has 2 BIG ones and thats it..
Hope this helps you,
Rick

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
I've been using the large FOX gear bag for over a year now and it has held up extremely well (still looks new). Believe it or not ?? I carry in it: boots, chest protector, helmet, extra visor & mouthpiece, 3pr goggles, 2 xtra lens, 3pr gloves, padded under-shorts, neoprene knee biscuits, knee guards, elbow gaurds, neoprene shoulder brace, beanie, 2pc. lightweight raingear, 2 sprockets, DID 520 chain, Xtra throttle assy, owners manual, frame guards off my old CR, mini maglite, stakes for my pop-up, and other misc. small items like pen/paper, band-aids, deoderant, etc..... I'm sure there is something else that I'm forgetting and there is still room for more. The only drawback is that the bag weighs alot and usually the person carrying it for me complains!!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I also like my large Fox gearbag, mucho storage compartments and it fits my size 15 boots in each end boot compartment, unlike my Sinisalo bag.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
MX145 sounds like it's time for the annual bag cleaning :) I wear a Size 12 boot so it has to be at least 18" high to start. I can't tell from the pictures if the Thor kicker has sep. compartments for the boots or not?

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
the thor bag has a seperate compartment for boots.
try finding a dealership that retails the fox and thor ones and see if they have one there you can look at.

B

biglou

Here's what I've got: http://www.mxsouth.com/answer/ansbaglar02.htm

Helmet at one end, size 12 boots at the other, five sets of gear, socks, t-shirts, towels and chest protector (Acerbis Zoom Plus fat boy cp) in the middle, lots of netted areas inside to handle gloves and goggles, and the three small outside compartments for deoderant and such, and wheels! Killer price, too, IMO. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
BigLou
How do you get your extra set of wheels into your bag?? I tried to put my spare set in on the sides and then on the top & bottom - NO Luck...... Maybe I'll try removing the tires and see if they fit in ?? (ha,ha,ah,ha)

T_bone_799

Sep 14, 2002
Fox is sopused to have a new gearbag that i've read is the greatest yet.....i think its called the Shuttle bag.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Ahhh, one of the nicer things about being older is the almost complete loss of "fashion." I have had a few different brands of large gear bags before going to my current rubbermaid, plastic tote. This was deemed necessary after having to don wet gear from a gear bag when preparing to ride. After the last snow ride, I decided a weatherproof solution was much more important than any residual fashion statement I could make with my gear bag. It also stacks well in the back of the truck.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Here's something to think about... We had to get dirt gear through airports recently. My gear bag had those little rolley wheels, but my hubby's didn't. MAN, was he wishing for little rolley wheels.

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
The Pro Circuit bag has been my favorite for last 4 years. It's set up like a 2 story condo, whereas the others are like ranch style houses. It's got a large compartment that holds my helmet, knee braces, gear and Airframe cp easily. There are two side pockets that will hold an extra set of gear, goggles, etc. The bottom holds the boots and has a very large pull out changing pad. The zippers move smoothly and even go around the corners with one hand. That's not easy with some bags and it's a nice convenience.

Also, it's not as long as the other bags by Fox, Thor, etc. so it's easier to lug around and put in the back of my extended cab (not 4 door) Toyota PU. I put tools in my toolbox and I could carry a few extra parts in the bag but I have no need for extra wheels. :)

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Do you have a source for the pro circuit bag besides them directly? Looks like a good compromise size wise.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I use the medium racebag from that mxsouth link. It was only $65 and it fits my needs. All my buddies have these huge bags that fit 5 different changes of clothes. I personally didn't need to carry every piece of mx clothing I have with me everytime I ride. The smaller bag fits my boots, knee pads, helmet, chest protector and 2 sets of gear. There's no room for more but I didn't want to carry everything...its heavy enuff as it is.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by SpectraSVT
There's no room for more but I didn't want to carry everything...its heavy enuff as it is.

That what is nice about having a bag w/wheels..
Rick

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I'm just curious, aside from occasional airport trips, how far do you folks normally carry your gearbags? I personally, have never carried mine more than 20' at a time, and cannot quite justify the wheels. :think:

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
KXTodd

I don't have a source for the Pro Circuit bag. My wife gave me mine as an Xmas gift and I'm sure where she got it, but my best guess is Chaparral (correct spelling?).

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
check out the MSR 250 bag. I can fit one pair of boots, 1 helmet, 1 chest protector, 1 set of knee braces, 2 jersey's and 2 pants. There are side pockets for goggles and whatever else you might want to take along. I think it's a good value for the price and is tough as nails.
If that's not big enough, check out the MSR 500 bag. That thing is huge!

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by rickyd

That what is nice about having a bag w/wheels..
Rick

true but I don't carry it anywhere...its just damn heavy getting it in and out of the truck.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Maybe we need one with "Gadget springs"...jumps right into the truck...er, sorry Pred...pickup ;)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I'm currently using a Sea Venture Dive Bag. Its got two mesh bottomed side compartments that fit one boot each, but I usually just throw my muddy boots in the back of the truck anyway.

I use this bag when I go on vacation just to pack normal clothes in, mainly because it has a backpack-able feature that allows me to carry it on my back whilst I wheelie-pull my other luggage, leaving one free hand for Starbucks coffee as I meander from terminal C to terminal B on my way to some tropical destination....

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
did someone say deoderant in a gear bag ??????????????

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…