Gear Oil or Transmission Fluid

CApilot

Nov 6, 2004
I have heard that type F automatic transmission fluid work great in the YZ250 gearbox. Does anyone have any experience with using transmission fluid. And if you change over does the gearbox have to be flushed? And if so with what. Also anyone have any recommendations as to what brand of fluid to use.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
switched over to ATF type F on both my bikes and love the stuff. Its extremely cheap so I can afford changing it after every ride or so. Used clutch saver and gear saver and didn't like paying the money for them in which i think i ended up with better results with the ATF. As for flushing, when i first switched my bikes over to the ATF i emptied the gear oil and then closed it back up and filled it with the ATF and turned the motor over some to get it mixed around then drained it once again and filled it with the ATF and have had no problems

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I too have an 04 yz 250 and I have just lately switched to Type F auto transmission fluid. I have had nothing but great results. Like others have said the stuff is cheap and the gears changed nice and smooth now where as before with the high dollar tranny oil, my shifts were marginal at best. I change the tranny oil each ride. So until I see problems Im continuing to use the Type F transmission fluid.

Good Luck
Redrider

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
How often do you guys change the fluid when using the ATF? Do you have to change it after every ride or can you get a few rides out it? I may try it out.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I used to run Mobil1 red cap in my gearbox and when the clutch would get hot, it would start to slip. I switched to mobil1 ATF and the slipping stopped so now it's all I use.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I'd recommend Type F ATF over any other kind of ATF. Type F was designed for wet clutch materials very similar to what is found in a motorcycle transmission.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you must use type F if you want the clutch to work correctly, make you dont get just any ATF, make sure its TYPE F

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Mobil 1 ATF is a near perfect gear box oil. I use it in both my bikes with success. As a matter of fact, the clutch slipping problem I had on my mildly built RZ350 has gone away with the use of the synthetic ATF. Also, the oil comes out looking much cleaner and not water thin. I do ride the bike quite a few miles and it is hard on tranny oil. The Husky gearbox is easier on the oils, but the ATF works fine in that bike also.

Chris

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom