bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
ive noticed oil leaking from my kdx and its grey, is this due to water and oil mixing if so how?, i can only think either base gasket or water pump seals failed, is there any other way the water can get into the gear oil or a common fault i dont yet know about, the gear oil was replaced 1 month ago and only been out twice. regards nick.

EYY

May 22, 2010
The only way coolant can enter the gearbox is through the water pump seal. Make sure you replace the bearing in the case too while you're at it, it's cheap insurance. Check for other worn seals around the gearbox such as the clutch actuator shaft seal, as water can get in from outside when washing the bike etc

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
usually water and oil mixed isn't so much grey as it is coffee colored.. sorta brownish..

is it milky looking or more towards silver?

if it's more silver, that's from your clutch plates and it's normal. Change your oil more often. And fix that leak.

bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
the oil is more silver/grey, i went out yesterday on it for around 3 hours and when i got home and it had cooled down i checked the rad and there is no loss of water so now im thinking the water is from the outside getting in,im going to change the gear oil this week, do you think its worth flushing the old gear oil before i change it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's not water.. Silver/grey is clutch related.. It's normal. You most likely have aluminum plates in the clutch. When they wear, you'll get a silver look to your oil. Just drain and change.

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Good point?

IndyMX said:
It's not water.. Silver/grey is clutch related.. It's normal. You most likely have aluminum plates in the clutch. When they wear, you'll get a silver look to your oil. Just drain and change.
Make sure there is a problem before you make one???

bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
today ive changed the gear oil for type f atf because i keep reading good results from people using it and already ive noticed the gears are much smoother and even the clutch feels better and the kickstart is slipping alot less, and on inspection the old gear oil didnt look that bad just a bit silvery, thanks for all the replys and advice.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've used the type F atf for 10+ years. I buy the cheapest stuff I can find and change ever other ride. Hope you get your leak fixed and you'll be happy with the shifting using the atf.

bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
ive found the leak and its coming from the shaft that the front sprocket sits on, im guessing its the rubber seal that sits around the shaft that needs replacing? if so do i need to split the crank to change this or do i simply remove the sprocket and pull the seal out that way? thanks Nick.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Never had to replace one, but I found some links on google indicating the KDX countershaft seal can be changed from the outside without splitting the cases.

bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
thanks dirt bike dave, ive had a good look about on the web and i thinks its a realy simple job, remove the sprocket and pick out the seal then replace an o ring put back together (i hope).

Top Bottom