keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
K guys, drained my gear oil and need some advice on what to replace it with. I posted a simmilar thread a while back got alot of good advice but no solid answers on what is best for a KTM gear. I have a 95 440. I have no owners manuel what do they say?

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
76GMC, what do you use on your bike? I dont have a bike shop close buy. Every KTM guy has told me 15w 50 but I cant find this at any standerd store?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
At the moment, in my Honda, I'm using Bel Ray Gear Saver 80w and plan to stick with it for a while. I can live with $5 a quart, and it feels to me like it offers a little less clutch drag over motor oils. I've used everything from 10w40 to ATF and it all works.

This 15w50 you mention would most likely be a synthetic motor oil formulated for diesel engines. Poke around in the diesel section of your automotive shop and you'll probably find it.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Thanks. Have you ever used a diesel oil? Also can I use standerd oil to resoak my air cleaner after cleaning it with some old diesel fuel I have?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've never used a 15w40 or a 15w50. I usually buy my oil at motorcycle shops, they don't sell diesel oils.

Your air filter oil has to be formulated for foam air filters. Foam air filter oil is specially formulated to be very tacky so dirt sticks to it. I use Bel Ray Foam Filter Oil. It costs about $10 for a quart, but the quart will last a lot of filter cleanings.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
K, found a Mobile 1 Racing 4T Full synthetic 10w-40 at wally world. It says on the back it is for protecting engine, transmission, and wet clutches under the most grueling race conditions. I put one quort in but I have no dip stick. How do I know when it is full?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There is usually a bolt on the side of the crankcase you remove and fill until oil comes out the hole. Most of the Japanese bikes have it just in front of the clutch cover, I don't know KTM that well. You have to hold the bike level as you fill it to check the oil level. Most bikes take .6-1 liters/quarts of oil.

Top Bottom