trips67

Nov 6, 2000
I am in need of a new set of sprockets and chain for my "96 KDX 200 with the following mods. It has all of the Freddette mods, ported cylinder, Boyesen RAD valve, FMF burly pipe, FMF TC2 silencer, removed airbox lid, and suspension mods. BTW, it was Woodsrider's old Bike.

The current gearing is 13/47. I am pretty new to this scene, so advice is well appreciated. Should I stay with this gearing? I have heard several different set-ups, and am trying to figure out how they all relate. I buddy of mine rids with 13/48 setup with I guess gives a little more low end, but really wasn't that noticeable to me.

I ride mainly woods, Hare scrambles, enduros, and occasionally screw around on the MX track.

Also what's the word on brands, steel vs Alum rear, and chains. I currently have an O-ring, not sure what type though. Is the X-ring work the extra cash?

Thanks

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
I've heard that a 50 tooth on the back can be a good thing. I supose it comes down to, do you want more low end power at the cost of top end speed.
I spent a bit of time on Michelles KDX on sunday and found that if I was running out of grunt a quick kick down would fix it. Personaly I'd stay stock so as not to loose speed on the transport sections.
As for the sprocket thing, I'm a great fan of O ring chains since they last longer and steel sprockets for the same reason as well as the fact that they are half the price. There is suposed to be a power gain to be had with alloy sprockets but I'm not a good enopugh rider to notice the difference.
As for X ring chains up until now they've been a bit on the expensive side for me.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
A 50 tooth rear sprocket does make a big difference especially in between gears. It seems like you dont have to wind the bike up as hard before shifting to a higher gear. It also seems to lug a little better as well as climb hills better. My advice to you is to get a stock length chain and instead of buying a 50 tooth rear sprocket, buy a 12 tooth front sprocket (real close in ratio to using a 13 front and 50 rear) and try it. If you dont like it then buy a 13 tooth front and you will be back at stock 13/47 ratio. The smaller front doesnt require a longer chain like the 50 tooth rear sprocket will. You will lose "some" speed but IMHO is well worth the trade off. I made the switch last year to a 12 front and wont go back to a 13.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
trips - With 13/47 gearing I could tap that bike out at 71 with my large arse aboard. Great for enduros with lot's of open terrain, not so good in the tight stuff. I prefer to ride in 3rd and 4th, but often times found myself in 2nd. The shifter would get caught on a snag and bump into neutral.

Gearing is approximately a 4 to 1 ratio. A 12/47 is equivalent to a 13/51. The 13/49 splits the difference. Go with steel sprockets and an o-ring chain.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I like the 13/ 49 better than the 13/47 or 13/50 combo. A lot depends on what and where you ride and how fussy you are about gearing. Its all about preference and comfort.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
trips. how the bike working out?

I tried to buy that bike, woodsrider turned me onto georges 99 220 hope you love yours as much I love mine!!!!! I just replaced my chain/sprokets 13/47 with a rk ring chain and 13/50. lost a lot of top speed but it pull's 2nd gear on the long hill climbs, a lot longer!

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
I switched to a 12/47 combo this year. I also put on a pro circuit pipe at the same time. It's like I bought a new bike over the winter! I absolutely love it. The gearing is alot better for the woods and it's just a whole lot more fun to ride. Besides, as Mike said, if you don't like it, you're only out $12.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I guess I will throw in my 2 cents. I run a 48 rear and a 13 or 14 front depending on the terrain.(on the 200) I can't believe how much difference there is between the 13 and 14, at least on my bike. I have always run the Answer Radialites and last time they lasted 7 years. Good luck!

Brenda

KruncH

~SPONSOR~
Jun 15, 1999
Now my $.02 as well. I've tried the 13/47, 13/49, and I'm currently using 13/50. I like 13/50 best because it seems to make the gearing more useable. Having a trailtech odometer, which I highly recommend, I've gotten up to 73.9 mph. That's fast enough for me on any trail and enough torque for just about any hill.

trips67

Nov 6, 2000
Thanks for all the input. All of you here have provided me with a lot of mush appreciated guidance on many topics.

I decided to stay with the 13/47, but also ordered a 12 to swap with terrain. I guess the 12/47 should be equivalent to a 13/51. I haven't received them yet, so I don't have any input.

Marlin- the bike is working out great. I rebuilt the top end this past winter, replaced suspension bearings, and other nomal maintenance. I am very glad I went with a KDX as the bike to get me back after a several year absence.

Top Bottom