RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
I am in a debate now, I have friends telling me to use 80W-90 gear lube for my lower end on my 83' KDX200, I have another telling me to use straight 40W . What do you all use and what is the effects of either type of lube ?
Thanks,
Raz

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I'm currently using Spectro Clutch Saver, which is 10-30 with "extra ingredients". I'm using it because I bought a bunch of it cheap.

As soon as it is gone, I will be using ATF.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The 80-90W gear oil is about the same weight as the 40W motor oil. I run 10W-40 Mobil one.

Any good quality oil will work fine as long as you are careful not to get "green" oil that has friction modifiers. These will wreak havoc on your clutch. I even tried ATF-F at the recomendation of members here. It made my shifting a little harsher, but otherwise performed well.

TheMort

May 31, 2000
I tried Mobil 1 15W-50 but it seemed to make my kickstarter disengage and slip. So I'm now back to Golden Spectro 85W which is probably the best I've used so far and have had good luck with.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had bought my '84 new and ran it hard for for six years and always used what the manual recommends - 10w/40 motor oil. Still had the original clutch in when I sold it.

BTW, I have an orignal owner's & service manual from my '84 - same bike as yours except for graphics. It is much more detailed than the owner's manuals you get today and shows just about everything, including transmission rebuild, fork disassembly, etc... For $5 you can have it. E-mail me if interested.

Last edited:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I have had the best shifting and clutch action with mobil1 10-30. one of my riding buddies swears by redline and the other uses regular 10-30 and changes every 2 rides. I have heard that energy saving oil can cause slippage but have never seen it. Some guys use atf. I think the bottom line is that these trannies aren't real fussy about oil. Rider preference and frequent changes are the best guides. The synthetics seem to give more consistent results but not everyone agrees.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've tried Spectro, Spectro Clutch Saver, Bel Ray, & Mobil 1 15w50 in my 94 KDX. The Mobil 1 was noticeably better. Only use the 15w50 as the other grades have the EC code which means friction modifiers that are not good for Mr. clutch.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I think somebody already mentioned it, but I use the clutchsaver 80W by Maxima. Worked just fine for me. But being that my bike is brand new, I can't compare it to anything else. Shifts just great though.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Jim,
If you can substantiate the addition of friction modifiers to Mobil 1 10- 30 please advise. I was told by Mobile that they obtained the ec designation without fm additives.
Thanks

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
I use Mobil 15W50 in my KTM520, which a lot of riders I know use in their 4 strokers. I have heard nothing but good things about this oil, and the results with using it have proven quite satisfactory. When I rode/ride my 2 strokes, I use Maxima 2 stroke gearbox oil.

Warren Lange

Oct 28, 2000
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40. I use it in my Bandit 1200 and the KX250 trans. No problems exist. It's cost about $5.00 a gal. at Farm& Fleet. This oil is used in heavy truck and diesel off road applications. If you know how diesel truck and off road machinery maintenance goes, this is made for abuse. Delvac also has high level of detergents in the oil to keep the engine mud down to a minimum because it is designed to keep soot levels down in Diesel engines. It’s also is used in some transmission applications. So it satisfies many requirements. I know many people that use it with excellent results. I typically change the dirt bike oil every two rides. It's cheap insurance. Don't let all this oil hype get to you. It's all simple if you follow this.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fishhead,

I got the EC code / friction modifier info from a thread from Rich Roderich. The only bottle of Mobil 1 that does not have the EC code is 15w50.

jroseberry

Sep 25, 2000
Autozone sells a Mobil one Motorcycle specific oil. That I believe is JASO certified. I only run a oil that has MC are JASO on the bottle.
In my opinion Castrols Motorcycle Specific oils are very good and that is what we Run.
Joe
KDX 200
KX 100
CR 80
GL 1500
CB 750 For Sale or Trade 1991 13,000 Miles

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
That is interesting! I have stayed away from EC petroleum oils because of the problems associated with friction modifiers and wet clutches, but I believe that Mobil got an EC rating on the 10-30 without the addition of friction modifiers. I think that point was also made on the same thread but I am not 100% sure. I will say that I have had no problems with mobil1 10-30 in my kdx which sees an almost exclusive diet of root infested rock holes with plenty of clutch feathering and the shifting action is much improved.

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Oh man....

Originally posted by Warren Lange
It's cost about $5.00 a gal. at Farm& Fleet.

Warren,
Don't tell these guys about Farm and Fleet.... It's our little Midwest Secret... If they don't have it, you don't need it... Champion N2C spark plugs by the 8 pack for less than $.80 a piece... :eek:

Please don't let it happen again....:confused:

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
So, let me get this straight, just about any auto oil will work, w/certain regards towards weight, as long as it doesn't have the EC crap in it, right? I'm just beating this dog so that I can show my buddy this after I print this out. He's rather vehement that you only put CYCLE oil in bikes and that auto oil, regardless of which one will do harm to the clutch plates. So all, please help me help him to see the light.:)

trips67

Nov 6, 2000
Does using a full quart hurt anything, when the manual calls for 750ml or something like that? I was told to run a full quart, and have seen it on several posts. I know it quiets the clutch noise of the KDX. The reason I ask is that it just came up with a buddy of mine who also rides a KDX 200. I have been putting a quart in, but he says that he wouldn't us that much. He says it costs HP and may tend to hold heat. Just wanted to get everyones take. Thanks

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
I have used brake fluid in all my motorcycles transmissions for the last 20 years without a problem. Nothing keeps my tranny cleaner. Make sure you use DOT 4 not 3 because of water absorption problems. :p

Pardon the sarcasm, but is there a topic that has been covered more often?

cyclers10

Oct 19, 2000
bel ray gear saver 80 wt. no problems 10 hr old new tranny kdx 220 lots of mud ect . also hardley no shavings in oil change oil, very minute! . i also like the atf idea or just the reg mobil stuff:silly:

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Full Quart

Tripps,
The MAN himself, Jeff Fredette told me to use the whole quart. Any extra may be pushed out the overflow tube, but mine has never dripped a drop.

As far as HP, it might be a little to push the extra fluid around, but probably less than an O-ring chain, and I'm not giving that up either.:confused:

I was told the extra oil actually cools better since more fluid will be able to contact cooling surfaces (case). It would be tough to do an actual test on that one, though...

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by trips67
He says it costs HP and may tend to hold heat. Just wanted to get everyones take. Thanks

As others have said, it will cool a bit better. Any theoretical loss of horsepower will be too small for normal humans to detect - plus it's just less of a hassle to dump the whole quart in and not have to deal with the leftover!

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Originally posted by JohninKY
Pardon the sarcasm, but is there a topic that has been covered more often?

How about....
"What's the best two stroke oil?" or
"What's the best tire?" or
"What bike should I get?"
:p

Top Bottom