Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I have just got back from using our bike because a problem has just occured. The bike is having problems shifting into gears, it will change occasionaly but something isn't right! Also, when you release the clutch in neutral I can hear a rumbling noise coming from the gearbox or possibly clutch, when you pull the clutch in the noise goes away. My mate has sometimes had problems in the past shifting into third so maybe it is a problem that has slowly gotten worse? What do you think is up with it? I thought maybe the clutch is knackered but I am fearing that the gearbox is the problem.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
not sure but check your shift forks (if they get bent, it'll start shifting out of gear and stuff) and the shift drum..you have to dissassemble the motor to get to that though. Just a suggestion, not sure if its the problem.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I think you may be right about the shift forks or drum, such a pain having to strip the engine down though :( While the two cases are split apart what else would you suggest I change when re-assembling the engine?

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
It also sounds kind of like one of the forks might be actually broken. And the broken piece is caught somewhere, causing the rumbling sound. If that's true you don't want to even start it until you split that case. If you don't it might cause you alot more expence. There's not to much else to change, but you will want to check that all parts are not worn or anything. Make sure thier all within the specifications that your repair manual says.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I must admit, that rumbling sound only started happening after when I came to a standstill with the bike, I shut the engine off straight away after hearing it. How can a fork break then? Do these just wear out after time and bend? When I said about changing other parts I meant things like seals and bearings.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
Yes the forks do wear out over time, but not very fast unless you are not changing the oil at the specified times. A fork could have broken if you crashed and the shifter got hit real hard. If you have an older bike then you might want to replace seals, if they're not leaking though, you probably don't need to. You can't really tell about the bearings unless you split the case and just feel them for play. Like I said, you shouldn't need to unless you have an older bike. Do replace all gaskets. If you havn't done a top end in a while you might want to do it while you have it open. Even if it's not the forks, I have a feeling you'll have to split the case anyway. Though if it is something going on in the clutch you will be able to see it before you take everything apart.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
I had a quick look last night to see if the bike would change gear with the engine off, to my surprise I could get all five gears relatively easy using my hand on the shifter. Occasionaly I would have to spin the wheel to move up through the gears, understandable I suppose, but everything 'feels' ok. It's possible that when I stopped the bike and heard that rumbling noise that I hit a 'false' neutral maybe so it was trying to move into gear if you get what I mean? I might change the oil later and give her a quick start, but if that noise is evident straight away I will shut it down, just curious now, mmmmm.....

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
earl pittz said:
... Though if it is something going on in the clutch you will be able to see it before you take everything apart.

Ditto. Start by pulling the clutch cover and see if anything is going on there. You only have three real possibilities: Clutch, shift mechanism, and transmission. You might get lucky and not have to split the case.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
I think you could be right about the 'false neutral'. It's very easiy to take the clutch cover off. It might be a very small problem that you will see right away.

Top Bottom