Gearing Calculation Program

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
I seen alot of people on this forum and others ask about speeds achieved from changing sprockets, and have found a few website that explain the calculation, but i thought we should all have an easy program to see quickly what changes on our bike will do to the speeds. So anyway I made a program. It is a large file (3.2 or so meg) so i can't post it, if i can get it on my freebie site i will otherwise i will have to email it to you, if outlook doesn't time out.

If you want to try it and tell me how to improve it or tell me it screwed up please do---just reply here and i'll send it---enjoy the dirt! :aj:

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
nice pleae send it to me at spydercmpt2000@aol.com thanx alot ive been thinkin bout that and cant find out because no one responds well peace

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
Hey thanks for doing that. Could you send one to me? I'm at dougm@carr.org. Is the calculation just for the KDX's drive, or can it be used on any bike? I'm adding more teeth to the rear on my KX100 for more grunt in the woods, that's why I wanted the info. Thanks again!

--dirtfreak

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
it's for any bike as long as you know the gear ratio's specific to your bike---let me get it sent to you too let me know if you don't get it, or have problems with it

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I did one in excel a while back
To use the program for all bikes make sure that you can vary the following input:
Primary reduction
Internal gear ratio per gear
Front sprocket
Rear sprocket
Max rpm
Rear tire circumference

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
I can host the file on my ftp if you'd like. It's only cable so it won't be blazing fast. Let me know

kevin @ deadtoself.net

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
Thanks ZKDX, I just got it. Haven't been able to download it yet because of problems with our stupid internet server, but I'll let you know how it is once I can set it all up.

--dirtfreak

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
roost02---what's your email address---i'll be away until monday folks---so it will be a few days until i send out this gear calc. again. I haven't heard any feedback, is it working for anyone? recommendations? questions? gripes?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i believe hounddog is going to host the file now. If you are hounddog, post the link here please. If anyone is still wanting it please let me know :)

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Anyone have any complaints or recommendations about my program yet?

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
Looks really great at first glance. Well done.

A couple of small requests for v1.01:

1. Alternative input and output fields for metric measures (cm for tyre diametre and km/hr speed).

2. Built-in secondary (sprocket) ratio calculator.

(For v 2?:) Ability to export and import settings so that we can start a database and share these for all makes and models.

Cheers
------------------------------------------------
Boot
Melbourne, Oz
85 Virago 1000
91 KDX200SR
http://www.copperleife.com/craig/bikes/

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
I hate to 'bitch' at such great effort, I like the km/h idea and think a neat addition would be calculating chain length(or adding from known data?).

Great effort Zac, a very useful program right now without any changes.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i can update the unit conversion pretty simply. The chain length i have given quite abit of thought to but haven't quite came up with a simplistic way of doing it---if anyone has any thoughts on how please tell. The trouble with figuring length of chain is that you have to know distance between centers of sprockets, so the user may have to manipulate that themselves, then their is chain pitch--also user may need to put their actual pitch in, instead of standardizing a pitch for all 520 chains...but i'm still looking at it.

And i am looking at throwing a database in there for saving the calculations---that adds quite a bit of stuff in for a virgin programmer like me--although a do have a quite extensive database based program i wrote for work which works well.

Boot--the program already gives you your sprocket ratio--that is the first result you get--do you mean something else?

thanks for the input folks---be on the lookout for Version1.1 !!!!! :)

Top Bottom