Gearing Down a KDX 220

Most of my riding has been on tight and narrow woods trails, with many obstacles, and I have found that even though I swapped my 13 tooth front sprocket for a 12, I would still like to be able to go even lower. This would bring me into trials bike territory, as I used to own a Honda TL250, which for many years was my favorite bike. Does anyone know offhand how many teeth are on the stock rear sprocket of a 2004 220R? I figure that if I go up either 3 or 4 teeth I will be able to get one lower gear. Even with my small 12 tooth front sprocket, I expect I will need to get a new O-ring chain----any recommendations as to what to order ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
I think stock for the 220R is 13/47 (?)

What makes you think you would need to get a ring chain for a gearing change?

I just thought that the stock chain would be unable to handle a larger rear sprocket. I sure hope that I am wrong, in that a new chain would cost about $100. Do you think that the stock chain is long enough for a 12/51 combination?

Mrobbins

Subscriber
The stock 108 link chain will be to short. A 13/50 needs 110 links. Search for a calculator.

Yep, it's true. Even if you only went up to 49 tooth in the rear, you would still need a new chain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
You will def. need a longer chain, but a ring chain is not manditory. A standard chain can handle anything a ring chain can, heck they are the same animal, really.

You DON'T have to pay such prices for the chain. Do a search for motorcycle chains and save yourself some money.

I wanted to get an O-ring chain since they do not stretch as much, and the bike comes from the factory with one as standard equipment. So for a 22/51 combination it looks like I would need a 111 or 110 link chain? I will do a search for a calculator.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
If you are going to dirt bike, you need a chain breaker. Always buy your chains in stock 120 link sizes and break them as you need them. It's a simple task. The aggrevation alone for screwing up just one chain buy will justify the cost of a breaker.

btw...a ring chain won't stretch as much as a standard chain during the first part of their lives...However, the standard chain can last longer than any ring chain if taken care of properly, also a ring chain is a very vulnerable item-with just the loss of one ring, the chain is subject to kill your sprockets and itself fast. Just food for thought.
If you were prepared to fork out $100 for a ring chain, then I highly suggest you do a proper search for motorcycle chains. When you find a place that sells them for reasonable rates, get both a ring chain and a standard. Run the standard and take good care of it...when the sloppy rides come, change out to the ring. Taking good care of the two chains can give you, at very least, a couple years of good service from both chains and sprockets.

Aaa...nothing wrong with running a ring chain all the time, don't get me wrong. Just DONT spend $100 on it.

Last edited:

Braahp

Subscriber
I can't think of one chain that costs $100. Maybe a Sidewinder. Most can be had in the $50+ range. Get the Oring chain......simply better than a normal chain. Jaybird had too much bird. :))

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
Braahp,
They aren't "simply better than a normal chain".

They are the same chain with orings to help keep grease from the factory in and contaminants out. In a perfect world they work, in a not-so-perfect world they lead to more trouble than a standard chain can.

The thing is, in both worlds, the standard can last longer.

I always harp on chains, but you know....folks neglect their chains and sprockets. Sure they think they have the bomb set-up and take care of it to the n'th....but they don't...not in reality. I am only adding a little advise that is based on years of experience and engineering fact.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten us on why you make the claim you do? Go ahead and get techy, I will ask for clarifications from some of the smart folks here, when I get stumped on a word or two.
:)

Last edited:
I got that $100 quote from my local Kawa dealer, the same one who I did not get the bike from, as he was adding a $200 markup to the full retail price of the KDX, so I will take your advice and get one from online. And a chain breaker as well. From what I've read here, seems it will need to be cut to about 110 or 111 links. I had mentioned the O-ring since it was what came stock with the KDX 220, but thru the discussion I've learned a lot about the pros and cons of both. If anyone else has any favorite places to purchase these items from, please list them, and I will make some calls and do some comparison shopping. Thanks to everyone who responded, your help is much appreciated!

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
I have a 1999 KDX220 with 12/49 teeth sprockets and the stock chain just fit with the chain adjusters on the lowest position. The bike looked brand new when I bought it so I don't think the chain had much stretch on it. If you use a 50 tooth spocket the get the next longer chain. Stock is a DID 108 links. Next size up is 110. The biggest sprocket in the Rocky Mountain Catalog I see is a 50 tooth. If you buy the Titax aluminum , it will save you a pound over the stock sprocket.

Yes you can gear down a little more Put a 11 tooth on and you are good to go no chain to buy. Been running the 11-47 for 8 years in Hair-Scramble-GNCC Pull real low in the tight stuff , just a little more shifting on MX-tracks.

That is a great idea........I didn't even know they made an 11 tooth. I had been cautioned when I got the 12 tooth that excessive wear might be a factor, which I have not yet seen, but then again, I have less than 300 miles on this bike. Do you have a wear problem with your 11 tooth? And do you reckon that going down one tooth in front translates to a 3 or 4 tooth increase in the rear?