Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
So this winter I will be doing some ice riding and to keep up with some of the snowmobiles I though a change in gearing that would add some top speed to the crf230 would be nice. I am not sure how many teeth to add to the front sprocket or take away from rear will be enough to add atleast 10 mph to my current safe top speed which is 55 without having to worry about anything blowing up. Is there someway to calculate top speed through counting the teeth on the gears or is it just trial and error. Any input is welcomed.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
a scientific equation? i dont know because there are so many different ranges of machines
but the smaller front sprocket will allow the motor to wind out quicker,and is different than a bigger rear
there's a big difference between the 2 options because of that reason,and when the rear rim comes in play- the bigger (rim) will cover more ground faster,and easier,than a smaller rim
the bigger front sprocket will be faster top end,and you will use the motor more,but at different rpm's
a 4 stroke most of the time has a lot of torq on tap so you can use a big front and be really happy with that option
i would say you could go 2 teeth easy on your bike with out losing a lot of torq (for climbing) but i haven't rode a lil bike like that so i cannot be perfect on that
and it will allow you more motor so your rpm's will be lower (you wont be so worried about blowing it up)
in fact i bet you would love the choice ,let me know what you choose,and how it works :cool:

Top Bottom