gears not all the way disengaged in neutral

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
it sounds like the gears are still trying to engage when the bike is in neutral. it doesn't happen all the time but a lot. you can hear it and can't get a fluid level reading when the bike is running. is this a clutch lever adjustment or what? thanks for your help.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Most likely cause of difficulty shifting to neutral is a notched clutch basket.

Take it out and file the fingers.

Although I'm not sure that's what you're referring to. Maybe you're referring possibly to a kickstart issue? The noise you hear when you 'activate' the kick lever when the bike is running?

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
i don't have a problem shifting into neutral, it is when the bike is already in neutral that you hear the gears spinning but not engaging. it sounds like it is trying to engage but just kind of clipping. i hope this helps. sorry for the cryptic explanations.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There are parts in the return spring/gear assembly of the kicker that can make a 'clicking' or 'ratcheting' kinda racket. See to what extent that noise changes when you lever the kicker down while the bike is running.

Good luck.

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
it doesn't seem to be associated with the kickstart but that ratcheting sound stops when i pull the clutch about 1/2 way in. what do you think?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
It IS the clutch that's making all that noise - and most KDXs do the same. Those clutch parts are all poorly machined & are unbalanced and soon as you let it out & start spinning the inner hub & plates it starts shak'in & making lots of noise. I went so far as to replace the bearing behind the clutch to possibly remove some radial slop but to no avail. Unfortunately Hinson only offers the outer hub -which is not the problem. I've not had a problem yet but a friend's pressure plate self destructed when it cracked around several of the casting flaws.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Ride it & forget it. The KDX is like some of the old Maicos & Huskys --it shakes & makes a lot of noise but seems to hang together for the most part. Whenever you have it apart --just check the pressure plate for cracks. [I've not found any on mine]

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Most likely cause of difficulty shifting to neutral is a notched clutch basket.

Take it out and file the fingers.

Although I'm not sure that's what you're referring to. Maybe you're referring possibly to a kickstart issue? The noise you hear when you 'activate' the kick lever when the bike is running?

had the same problem with my sons rm125 with the engine dieing when put in gear {could not adjust it out to work } . filed the cluth basket , no more problem .

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I may be missing the whole point.

The kdx is pretty noisy, and there is a distinct racket in the clutch when the bike is running in neutral, clutch not engaged (lever not pulled). If that is the issue, then, as rob says, there is no issue.

I assumed this to be a new noise..and gears '..still trying to engage...' is not how I think of the 'normal' kdx noise.

Run a good 850ml or so in the tranny for starters. That will quiet the 'normal' noise down.

IF this is not an acute noise (acute='sudden onset') and you do have an acceptable (re: the 850ml noted above) oil volume, and your clutch operation is satisfactory.......then just ride the thing! (like rob already said)

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
this did begin after i changed the tranny oil. maybe the level is a little lower than i normally run it even though it is between the fill lines. i will check the level. thanks for everyones help. i hope that is all it is.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: between the fill lines.

That's too low.

The specified fill is 700ml (H model). Again, it's common practice to run over that amount primarily to quiet clutch noise.

Personally, I use a quart. After draining, I dump 'some' in as a flush. Plug it up. Pour in the balance of the quart (again, around 850ml or so).

Dump in a couple hundred ml and go riding! ;)

Last edited:

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
topped it off and it didn't go away but maybe that's the way it should sound. i have only had the bike a few months and just getting used to everything.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by Twiztid One

had the same problem with my sons rm125 with the engine dieing when put in gear {could not adjust it out to work } . filed the cluth basket , no more problem .

I have the same problem, stick it in first and she dies. Filing sounds fun, does anyone have an overview for newbies on how to file the fingers? Like where to file and how much usually is required? You'd be saving me oodles since I assumed I needed a new clutch basket $$$.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Take the clutch apart so you can access the (empty) basket. You will be able to easily see where the clutch plates have 'dented' the basket fingers.

Draw filing works best (draw the file toward you..this will eliminate leaving an 'edge' of metal hanging over the finger on the INside of the basket). In any case, remove all filings/flashings before reassy.

File the fingers flat and straight.

Don't overlook the two washers (same size) IN and UNDER the basket when you take it off.

Don't put the release spring (rides against the outside 'offset' clutch plate) back in wrong. You can see where it hits on the outside plate. Looking at the basket, it's installed 'concave' with the wider diameter against the plate.

Torque things!!! Hamfist the spring bolts resulting in BREAKING the hub..and you'll be real sorry for the $$ you'll spend fixing 'stuff'.

If you don't have air tools to get the clutch nut off, research required tools to help you. Chances are slim to none that you'll get it off if you don't use a few tricks to 'hold' it while you wrench it.

Top Bottom