Gears or reeds?

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
03 200, Gnarly woods, pro-circuit spark arrestor, 45 / 155 jets, no air box lid, 50:1 fuel mix, stock gearing, 4.8 shock spring,

Out in the desert trail riding the bike's power is everything I could ask for but, out at the track here in Elsinore MX park California (which is a cross between Arena and Super cross), the bike's six speed leaves me with 1st to low and 2cd to high coming out of the turns.

Question: to be able to use 2cd thru the turns with pulling power, what would be the better choice reeds or change the gearing to 13 / 49 or ? Thanks for your input

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
A v-force helped me out in that area. I was having a problem with acceleration before a jump. The vforce made noticeable improvement. I also experimented with gearing. I would Definately stay with 13 as 12 is just too low and requires a lot more shifting. I am comfortable now at 48. 49 and 50 just made the gears closer but once again I had to shift earlier. If you always go to the same mx track you could just plan a day of sprocket testing.
I have an icat fitted and for my bike it did quite a bit. Very easy to loft front end and revs quicker off idle. My bike is more modified than yours so the difference my not be as noticeable. Maybe someone will let you borrow one to try it since it just screws on to your spark cable.

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
tedkxkdx said:
Maybe someone will let you borrow one to try it since it just screws on to your spark cable.

Ted do you want my mailing address?

:joke:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
IMHO for what that is worth, 12 is not too low on the front sprocket, lets me use 2nd and 3rd in the steep stuff where before I had to use 1st

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Most people change their reeds to a VFII when their reeds are old so they notice a huge gain in throttle response. If your bike is in good tune, changing reeds will have an effect, but it will be marginal.

For what you are looking for I'd suggest trying some different sprockets. I'm running a 13/50 combo on my KDX and second gear is great for the slow turns. But Ted is correct, you should try a few differenct combos and decide what you like best. BTW, a 12/47 is the same as a 13/51.

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
Sounds like gearing is the best place to start. The 2 tracks that I ride at are very similar, lot of slow speed turns right into jumps. I realize that a KDX is not an MX bike, but I think small gains in every area will help while keeping the smooth power delivery intact for the hills out in the desert.

Thanks for the info to all who responded to my question.
It's better to get information first from others who have tried different things, than to spend your money hoping for the result your looking for.
Thanks again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…