General Maintenance Schedule and Break in

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Honda CRF250R and I was just wondering how often should I do certain things? Like how often should I change the spark plug, change the oil, change air filter, etc... Just things like that. Does it tell me all of this is the manual? I havn't bought the bike yet so I wouldn't know, but I just wanted to be educated on all this stuff so when I get it I already know.

Also what is the true proper way to break in a new bike? I've heard so many different things.

Yes I have already searched.

Thanks

EDIT: Also, just so I'm not starting another thread, what would be the first things I should probably upgrade on that bike? How are the stock parts? I don't really want to buy more things unless there needed but are there things that aren't really needed but will really help?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Pick up a Honda Factory Service Manual. It will be the next best money you ever spend after the bike itself. Then read it and follow the suggested maintenance schedules and methods in the book.

Break in? That one ranks right up with which oil :) Ride the bike and change the oil & filters and it will break in fine ;)

It's a Honda you don't need to upgrade the parts.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
So your saying after spending close to $8,000 on the bike it doesn't come with the manual? Wow. But in that book it does tell me everything needed to maintain the bike?

For the break in I just ride normally? I've never had a brand new bike before so just making sure. I don't need to do the heat cycles and let it cool and only run 1/2 throttle for the first tank or any of that?

Thanks

Also I've been looking at some sites with aftermarket parts and stuff and nobody has any parts for the 2008 CRF250R. Is that just because its to new? Everywhere has stuff for the 07 but no 08. Will the 07 parts work compatibly with the 08 or are they different?

Last edited:

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
The 08 parts will be out soon in the catalogs and online. I always change my oil and filter after about 4-5 hours max, also air filter. When I bought my RMZ new it came with a service manual. If you keep up with your maintainance you should not have any problems. I just bought new and better aftermarket parts for my bike as I broke the others.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The manual that came with my crf is pretty good as far maintenance procedures, torque specs, cable routing, etc. Spend a few bucks on jets and that will probly be the best mod you can do for a small amount of money. I have two air filters, and one is always clean and oiled, ready to swap out. I change the oil in the engine every other ride and the trans every three or four rides. Mine has sixty some hours on it and will be torn down in a few weeks for at least piston/rings and valve springs. I will post some picks along the way so people can see how things are wearing.

Invest in a decent torque wrench and a basic tool set and you can do almost any maint. jobs. Save any extra money for parts down the road.

May 10, 2007
where are you that you are spending 8k. if you are in the US you are paying way too much.

6.5k is what it is at my local shop just looked today too. had to get some parts.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Well we never sat down and figured out everything but the salesman said by time all the fees and the tax its gona be around $7,500-$8,000.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
true2blue92 said:
Well we never sat down and figured out everything but the salesman said by time all the fees and the tax its gona be around $7,500-$8,000.
:whoa:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
true2blue92 said:
If you have not pulled the trigger yet don't get too excited about getting the bike NOW. This is typically a slow time of the year for dealers so some game playing could save you some bucks. Where are you located? What dealer are you negotiating with? Are you sure you have to get an '08? Sometimes there are great deals of left over models.

May 10, 2007
and when patman means great he means GREAT!!. local dealer has a CR125 down 1k.

and patman again is right. now is a slow time for dealers and a great time to buy bikes.

Top Bottom