general rebuild and other KDX facts

josh_TTR_KDX

Mar 21, 2001
Hey,
Im just about to purchase a 220. Well i have a TTR 125 and its too small. I have lately been ridin my uncles 87 YZ 250( totally aftermarket, ported, ect.) Well im 5'10 125lbs and i love that bike. Its gotta a lot of power and is somewhat scary but i can manage alright. How does the KDX compare. Like will i be able to catwalk in 3rd or 4th gears. I know on my TTR i can do good ones in 2nd only.

And also what is just a basic rebuild. Is it new rings, or the whole piston or what. Also what will the maintyenece on the KDX be every year.

THANKS

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
josh:

The KDX 220 is truly an awesome bike for its intended purpose. The bike also fairs pretty well in other areas as well, just as long as it is appropriately setup. Being that your uncles YZ 250 is modified it is probably somewhat more peppy than a KDX, even if the bike is 14 years old. This is mainly because the KDX is only a 220 and it has a wide ratio transmission. Don't get me wrong, since you would be coming off of the TTR you will find that it is extremely powerful, especially down low.

I weigh 195 lbs and my bike stock will easily wheelie (cat walk) in third gear and if the rpm's are right I can probably bring it up in fourth with no clutch. The bike is downright awesome with all things being considered. The best bike I have owned in my 18 years of riding. Nothing comes close to this bike in the trails, especially for the money. The maintenance requirement is the absolute best you will find from a two stroke. The "basic rebuild" that you refer to would include a piston and rings and probably a wrist pin bearing and circlips, cleaning the power valves is very important too (preventative and performance reasons). The Wiseco kit and bearing will run you around $100, you should add about $20-$30 for gaskets. Depending on your dedication to preventative maintenance and riding habits will determine when you need to perform this maintenance. Some people will say that all you will need for basic maintenance is the rings but I feel that if you are going to dive into the engine you might as well change out the piston too, not really a big deal. On the average the top end maintenance is probably performed once every 18-24 months, unless you are anal like I am. I will probably do it once a year or so.

I hope that this information helps. If you have any other more specific questions I am quite confident the answers will follow.

Aloha and good luck.

Scot

------------------
'01 KDX220r
Ride it Hard and Fast!

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
josh:

I almost forgot, be sure to grease up the suspension linkage, wheel and steering head bearings really good. This goes for a new bike as well because it is something that is not done very well from the factory. This is something that should be done at least once a year to keep things moving smoothly and help to avoid undue wear.

As with any bike preventative maintenance is a good way to assure many years of trouble free riding.

Aloha

------------------
'01 KDX220r
Ride it Hard and Fast!

Top Bottom