ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
Is this a trail ride or MX track race?

Does Reno offer both?

How cold is it there that time of year? We're so-cal folks and not used to riding in SNOW...

It looks like you all know each other, is this a private party or are you welcoming newbies??

Thanks, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'96 CR250R (His)
'99 TTR225 (Mine - new to me)
'92 200 Quadsomethin' (Kids)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by ChknLittle
Over 30 views and not one response? I'm disappointed - everyone sounded so friendly.... :(

Just be a little patient, most people are at work and can't take the time to respond right away.

Anybody is welcome.   The group is very friendly and you will have a great time if you go.  Moonrocks is in the desert and hills north of Reno.  The area is vast, and there is a huge variety of trails for a wide range in skills - everything from easy 4wd roads to very technical & steep single track.  There are a few unmaintained MX tracks that locals have created within a few miles of the staging area, but its mostly trail riding. 

Basically, show up when you feel like, make some friends and find out who you want to ride with.  There are some locals that may be leading group rides, or you can explore on your own with smaller groups of new and/or old friends. 

Light snow, rain and/or cold temps are very possible but impossible to predict.  A light coating of snow sure beats dust!  You can find out about Reno's average February weather conditions at a weather web page.

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Hi, Michelle!

I asked similar questions in the Women's forum last month. :) I am joining the Reno ride for the first time in February (it's the 4th annual). I found DRN a few months ago, and everyone has been very welcoming! The Reno ride sounds like it is a LOT of fun, with trails for various skill levels--something for everyone. You can get a really good sense of the terrain and adventures to be had by reviewing the postings for "Reno Ride 2002" under the "TeamDRN Local Chapters Forum" (you can also follow various links there to a similar thread in the Women's forum). After reading those postings, my comment to all the ride participants is: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hope to see you in February!

ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
Thanks to both of you.

I'm a little nervous about the whole thing, as my husband and I have only been into dirtbiking for a few months (he has more experience than I do, but mainly with street bikes and no formal training whatsoever). We haven't had a speck of luck finding people in the area to ride with.

I'll keep reading the posts and harassing my hubby, and maybe I can get him to take a trip up there (we're in San Diego) to meet everyone and have some fun!

Thanks again, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'96 CR250R (His)
'99 TTR225 (Mine)
"92 Quadsomethin' (kids)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Michelle - feel free to e-mail me or PM me to get any questions answered you feel uneasy asking here. I have not been on DRN all day, so - sorry. Or, if you want to e-mail my wife her name is Mimi (strick@ktmtalk.com). Moonrocks is PERFECT for you! You could ride fast dirt roads - easy single track through the sage and desert. There are some pretty easy MX tracks if you like. Then of course there are extremely challenging areas as well. My wife is a beginner as well, mainly due to the fact she doesn't ride much (she has had bikes for 3 years). You will love it. There is not a more friendly area to ride in anywhere! The people are just a blast too. Everyone is awesome to be around.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Well, I know I'm one of the people who looked, but didn't reply... I'm going but have never been to a DRN event or Reno for that matter, so I'm not much help! (I've only been riding since April myself.)

Hope to see you there!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Michelle,
Reno/Moonrocks is a great area to ride and the people you'll meet are incredibly friendly. I've been to all three Reno rides and I've had a blast. I hotel'd it the first year, stayed at a buddies parent's house the second year and camped at Moonrocks last year. Each had it's advantages/disadvantages. The terrain is incredibly easy to very, very difficult and you'll find bench racers that spend most of their time at the staging area bs'ing, enjoying the refreshments or puttering around on bikes up the hill, trail riders that go out for 20-30 mile rides a couple of times a day and the then the truly hard core that leave in the morning and return at dusk. It just depends on what you like.

In the 3 years I've been I've seen beginner women catch the bug and improve dramatically in the couple of days they been riding at Moonrocks - a couple of examples: bratt on a CR125 last year got hooked on trail riding, previously she had only riden MX, getmetoca has improved dramatically and still likes me after I took her on a ride that was a bit of a challenge for her.

Basically, come on and join the fun.

Brian

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Don't feel nervous, Michelle. I was all apprehensive and anxious before DW in 2002, and learned real quickly there was no need to be. You won't find finer bunch of people anywhere else on this planet.

come on out, it's my first time to Reno too :yeehaw:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Hey Michelle. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun at Reno so come on out and drag the hubby with you! There are 18 women confirmed so far (I expect that # to rise) of varying skill levels so there will always be someone to ride with. Reno is a great place for someone new to the sport, plenty of wide open spaces.

I have been to this get together every year since it's original inception as a "ladies ride". Of course the men always far out number the women but we don't mind. They are always handy for help and entertainment purposes. ;)

It's too bad you guys haven't found anyone in your area to ride with yet. I know there are several DRN members in the San Diego area. This is an excellent opportunity to wet your feet. Just be prepared to become attached to this group of nutcases very quickly as these really are the greatest people! :)

Hope to see you there!

ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
Ok, me again.

First, are those of you who are camping doing it in motorhomes? We're pretty hearty people, but how moronic would we look if we were the only tent in the campground?!

Also, hubby's work schedule is all over the place, and I'm just not sure if we'll know for sure that we can make it until a month or so out. Do we have to preregister? Do we have to have any memberships (ie AMA etc.)??

Thanks again! Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'96 CR250R (His) "The Beast"
'99 TTR225 (Mine)
'92 200Quadsomethin' (Kids)

ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
P.S. - Please Lord let me be one of those who "improve dramatically" while I'm there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'96 CR250R (His) "The Beast"
'99 TTR225 (Mine)
'92 200Quadsomethin' (Kids)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Michelle.....just show up!!!! No registration required.

You will have a good time, meet great people and have a blast on the trails. Its all good. I, personally, had a freakin' blast, even if NVR FNSH still calls me a "PB". :) I forgave him, and yes, I still like him.

Tenting at Moonrocks will be a little on the cold side, but if you're set up for it, just pitch your tent close to the Canadians, they have the most firewood.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Campground? That's a bit bold. I'll be camping in my trailer and the Canucks will have some kind of house on wheels which once you see the blender will be pretty inconsequential. Camp with us, it will be fun.

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
Michelle,
In the 3 years I've been I've seen beginner women catch the bug and improve dramatically in the couple of days they been riding at Moonrocks - a couple of examples: bratt on a CR125 last year got hooked on trail riding, previously she had only riden MX, getmetoca has improved dramatically and still likes me after I took her on a ride that was a bit of a challenge for her.

Basically, come on and join the fun.

Brian

"Come on it'll be an EASY trail" say Kevin and Brian to Natty and Gina.

hmph! I'd hate to see what the hard trails are like :debil:

haha I can't wait to do it again :)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by bratt
"Come on it'll be an EASY trail" say Kevin and Brian to Natty and Gina.

I concur, they breathed those exact words.....and followed it up with "Come on! Just an easy little 15 mile jaunt" :think:

This is bringing back memories now.....   Kevin yelling at me: "You can ride your OWN bike up that hill!!!!!!!! "  Okay, he wasn't yelling, but he was being kind of stern with me.......*sniff *sniff....he usually rides my bike up hills... *sniff *sniff.

:)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA

I concur, they breathed those exact words.....and followed it up with "Come on! Just an easy little 15 mile jaunt" :think:

This is bringing back memories now.....   Kevin yelling at me: "You can ride your OWN bike up that hill!!!!!!!! "  Okay, he wasn't yelling, but he was being kind of stern with me.......*sniff *sniff....he usually rides my bike up hills... *sniff *sniff.

:)

Hey PB, it was only 12 miles and we were never more than 3 miles from the palace:)

This year we're going for another easy 15 mile ride except we're coming down that sandhill I pulled two superman get-offs on two years ago:)

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by ChknLittle
First, are those of you who are camping doing it in motorhomes? We're pretty hearty people, but how moronic would we look if we were the only tent in the campground?

I suspect you'd be drinking heavily to keep warm. There was a 1/2" thick layer of ice on the side of my trailer Sunday morning last year. Strick arranges for a porta-potty but that's the only facililty out there. I'm not tough enough to tent camp out there in February.....

Brian

ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
Hehehe, I suppose you're right about the drinking (do I have a sign on me or something??)!

Well I guess we'll have to be the big babies that everyone thinks we are, and stay in the hotel. I guess it's one more incentive to get hubby to agree to go (he's a wicked blackjack player)!

Thanks for the info! Michelle

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
This year we're going for another easy 15 mile ride except we're coming down that sandhill I pulled two superman get-offs on two years ago:)
If that's the hill I'm thinking of (visible from staging area?) I'm contemplating trying it this year, finally. But I wanna go UP it, NOT down it! :confused: If I somehow manage to make it up is there another way down? Besides bulldogging it down.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Hotels are cool.... you can let the hot water run in the shower as long as needed to make you feel better.... <grin>

- ET

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer

If that's the hill I'm thinking of (visible from staging area?) I'm contemplating trying it this year, finally. But I wanna go UP it, NOT down it! :confused: If I somehow manage to make it up is there another way down? Besides bulldogging it down.

Yep, that's the hill - SW from the staging area, little ribbon of sand on the side of the hill.

You'll end up bulldogging back down the hill because you won't make it on the first try - I'll bet money on it. Once you do make it to the top it's a nice sidehill single track trail to come back around. It's actually pretty easy to ride down - I just made a couple of stupid mistakes. I got on the front brake too hard and tried to turn around fallen riders........ front end washed and over I went. Nice soft landing BTW.

Brian

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
Campground? That's a bit bold. I'll be camping in my trailer and the Canucks will have some kind of house on wheels which once you see the blender will be pretty inconsequential. Camp with us, it will be fun. [/

What`s this "house on wheels "crap! It`s a shak on wheel`s.But no matter what your staying in ,it`s all fun.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Aimee - three words WILL get you up that hill: ON THE GAS! Once up on top, there is some killer single track, and VERY easy decent via the trails winding you back down the 'Dogskins'.

If you have never been on the single track on top of the mountain, I will take you up there another way - if you can't make the hillclimb (snow<lack of>permitting).

Top Bottom