calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Well I'm getting close to purchasing that Toy Hauler and I need a generator to go with it. Probably around 3000-3500 watts. I've looked at several and the prices range from reasonable to high dollar. I like the Onan RV generator, but would I be just as happy with a cheaper model that won't fit in the generator space on the RV? What are the pro's and cons? What do any of you RV aficionados suggest?

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
I did what you are thinking about. Bought a Honda 5000 contractor style portable generator and stuck it in the truck bed. Noisey! Noisey! Noisey!!!
People actually cheered when I shut it off! Small tank limited run time and I had to crank it because the wife couldn't pull the rope hard enough! Now we have a Onan Microquiet LP 3600 W mounted in the trailer. The start stop switch is inside and it is wired into a autoswitch relay that shuts off shore power when the generator is running. You can hold a normal conversation standing 3 feet away when it is running and no one has yet to complain about the noise. Don't waste your time and money on the cheap ones for you truly get what you pay for with generators.

Good luck
Toolman

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Do yourself a favor and buy a quiet generator. You won't feel the daggers in your back from everybody staring at you when you start the thing up. My parents have a Generac 5KW 'construction' grade generator for their trialer - emergency only - that I would be embarassed to use in the woods. They have never used it with their trailer, only starts it up 1x month to make sure it works.

I bought a Honda EU3000 and love it. It's very quiet. It's a bit heavy/awkward for me to pick up/move by myself if it's got a full tank. I'm going to get the wheel kit for it to help with that little problem. My trailer is wired for a propane generator but I decided to get a portable since I have plenty of room to carry it and can use it for things besides the trailer. A lot of people of www.irv2.com seem to be using two Honda EU2000 units in parallel - each one is easily handled and the cost of two EU2000s is comparable to a single EU3000 (I think).

Brian

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Get one installed in the trailer. Quieter, less hassle, more power.

The other thing to keep in mind is what your using it for. If you're gonna run a roof A/C unit, that's gonna draw 2500-3000 watts by itself, and an additional 500 watts to start up. You gettin a microwave too? That's gonna use a couple thousand watts to power up too.

Our 18'er doesn't have the internal space so we bought the 5000 watt Costco special for $500. Used it once, and returned it - way, way loud, like a uncorked 426! It even said "Great for RV use!" Yeah, if there's no one within a 3 mile radius! Our problem is, we need a QUIET portable that puts out about 4000-4500 watts. Haven't found the ideal price vs. noise balance yet.

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Looks like I'll shell out the extra bucks and get one installed in the trailer. Sounds like money well spent in the long run. Thanks for the advice guys. :worship:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
William,
Check out using two of the EU2000s - $857 each delivered in the US from www.hondashop.com The parallel cable from Honda is ~$250 but I've seen a website that shows how to build one for much cheaper.

Brian

CAB

Nov 18, 1999
We have a 4000 watt Onan in our toyhauler and it's great. Runs the micro and the air, though I've never tried them at the same time. As mentioned above, for your own peace of mind and the sanity of your neighbots in the great outdoors, spring for the high quality stuff.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
NVR Finish is right about the Honda EU2000's. They are a good alternative to the built in models and you can use only one if that's all you need for the load. For example watching TV and reading on a cool night when there's no need to run the AC. Dang if I don't shut up I'll talk myself into buying one of these too!

Toolman

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
We have the same setup as Cab in our class c. We've run the AC, the microwave and had a battery charger chugging all at the same time on the 4k microlite with no problems. Quiet and reliable.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom