elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Ok, this is not for a dirtbike but a chain is a chain. I purchased a 1985 Honda ATC 200x (three wheeler) which I will be giving to my father for Christmas this year. Every part on it is original including the oring chain. The machaine is in overal outstanding condition but needs a good cleaning to be perfect. I am going to tear it down to the frame and clean the whole thing. My question is how would you recomend cleaning the chain with out destroying 23 year old orings. There are no marks on the chain adjuster bolts so I do not think the chain has ever been adjusted since assembly in 1985. There is quite a bit of gunk and crap caked on it so Im sure I will have to soak it in some kind of solution to break down the stuff thats on it now. Any sudgestion would be great, thanks!

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
Buy a new chain...

The whole purpose of purchasing this bike is because its all original and Im going to keep it that way. When my father was teaching me how to ride this is the exact same ATC he had bought brand new in 1985. This machine will hardley be ridden, its more of a sentimental gift. I just want it to look as nice as possible with out destroying things with chemicals. My mother had a 1984 ATC 200ES (Big Red) and that will be the next one to get when I can find one.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
76GMC1500 said:
I wouldn't consider replacing the chain altering the originality of a bike.

Considering the chain is a wear item, I wouldn't either.

Not replacing a 22 year old chain is just crazy.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I understand replacing the chain would be best. If it were to be used by me I would replace the chain and sprockets as a set. I know for the rest of the machines life it will see no more than 50 hours. Im just trying to figure out what chemical is recomended to clean an oring chain with out destroying the orings. One person claimes wd-40 as an option, any others? And to answer the question about the gas and oil, no its not original, but the break fluid appears to be and so does the air filter.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my dad on a machine with a 22 year old chain, if I knew I could replace it and have the security knowing that it's not going to break and be a potential to injure him.

But, you can do whatever you like.

94hardbody4x4

Jun 12, 2007
If your intent on using the stock chain, then WD would be a good option. White lithium is also good but I'm not sure if it would eat away at the orings. I've always used it on bushings and such but some people have mentioned that the chemical base of it tends to eat away at stuff like that.

Hell, WD it and see how that helps. You may need something stronger though if it's as bad as you say. But I dont see the chain lasting too long. Run it till it breaks.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
the chain is not bad, its just got gunk on it like most chains do, I want to clean it making it look new. I would say this thing has about 40-50 hours of use on it. Its not wore out and the sprockets are fine.

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
.....At least hell get some good excersise when it breaks in the middle of nowhere........

...and I for one would change the belts on an 'ol mustang...breaking down sux....not that Id ever own a mustang...lol!

rerfurt

Jul 7, 2005
My DID O-ring says to clean using kerosene and lube using 80W-90 gear oil - dont use wirebrush.

If the chain isn't worn out (2-3% stretch) I wouldn't worry about age. I think I read somewhere that gear-oil contains additives that are good for rubber oil seals - but it really makes a mess when putting it on.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Of course it needs a new chain. But if safety isn't a factor...and it surely isn't since those three wheelers are some of the most dangerous vehicles there ever was, I wouldn't worry about letting your dad run a chain that will more than likely fail on him, and tear up those nice original sprockets as well.

(sheesh)

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
I'm confused by your resistance to take the overwhelming advice to replace the chain. I understand it's not going to be ridden much and he's probably not going to be running thru the gears wide open, but still, if it were my dad, I'd want the thing to be in the best shape it could be.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
kerosene my friend. with a good soak in oil after. I just restored an older bike with this method. I dont have the know how that these guys do but I have used it. These guys all make good points. The seals most likely are dried and there is no restoration for that. It will work for some time it may not. Give him the bike nice and shiney and slip in a box with a new chain so you can enjoy it with its origanal parts and use it safley when it is used. But you are running a high damage risk. If you want it to stay all origanal take it off for a day it will never be wriden again then put it back on.

Top Bottom