Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
This is my first posting here, so I hope I get it right

1) I'm 6 ft and about 280 lbs
2)I would say I fall in the middle as far as aggresivness
3) I want to ride mostly trail and woods with my brother inlaw and my 6 year old nephew.
4)I used to ride a Honda Trail 90 on the same place I'll be riding now, though it was over 20 years ago. From 13 to around 17, I was riding in that field every chance I got, till I got my license....hehe
5)Nope. I'm too old and fat to race, though I hope I can go faster than a 6 year old on a CRF50.....hehe
6)I'm reasonable as far as mechanics, but my brother inlaw rebuilt his YZ80 when he was 15, so I think I'll be OK
7)No, though I would like something beefy that can get out of it's own way. I do like Hondas...
8)Yes
9) Since I'm just riding in a big field, I'd like to stay under $1500, but I can go more if needed.
10)No....NY state, near Rochester
11) I'm 44
12) I basically want to bash around on a bout 20 acres of land my sister and her husband own. It's about half woods, with the rest being mostly open fields, It's slightly hilly, though not hillclimb territory. It stays rather dry because of the incline, so there should'nt be much mud unless we start going down by the interstate. We know all the neighbors that live around the area, and most have had no problem with my brother inlaw riding his Yamaha 175 2 stroke.

Thanks

georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
yeah, that would be pretty good for you, though it may be too much bike for what you want. you could also probably find one in your price range too. i got mine for about $1700.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i have to go with yz85kid a honda has never let me down any where. i have owned a honda for the past 7 years and only have had to do regular maintance.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
yeah... any 250 two stroke motocrosser (rm250, cr250, yz250, 250sx, kx250), or a 250 two-stroke enduro like a rmx250 or a wr250 would work fine. They have enough power to haul anyone around and you can always run them a gear high if you aren't used to the pipey-ness. I have to worry about the hard stock suspension but at 280 you'll be fine. There's usually lots cheap too... just pick your brand.

Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
Well I finally found my bike....It's an 89 YZ 250. Everything works, and it set me back $750. It's only issues are a bolt missing from the brake caliper on the back and a 5 in crack in the fuel tank. I aleady found a suitible bolt for the caliper, and tommorow I'll be draining and pulling the tank to see if I can plastic weld it back together. Since this project is supposed to be on the cheap, I'll try this before springing for the $200 for a new Clarke tank...Wish me luck...

Apr 30, 2007
Good luck! It sounds like you should have a pretty good bike as long as you care for it well. May many happy rides await you!

Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
Well I just spent my first afternoon riding in the fields with my nephew and my brother inlaw......What a BLAST we had. My fuel tank repair was an utter failuse. It started leaking all over about 5 minutes after we started riding, so I took it back to my garage and drained the gas down to where the level was below the leak. I still got a good 30 minutes or so of riding out of it. I went back and put some more in it when that ran out and rode another 30 minutes or swo till my nephew decided he was too tired and hungry to keep riding. If my 44 year old bones and knees could have stood up to it, I might have kept going till the tank ran dry again. My next attept at fixing the tank will be to try and "weld" the tanks with a soldering iron and a flat bladed screwdriver, then coat the repair with model airplane epoxy. The stuff can withstand %30 nitromethane airplane fuel, so it might work for this. I'll try anything cheep till I decide to spring for the $209 for the Clarke tank......hehe

Now all I gotta do is get my knees and right leg flexible enough to kick start it easier. I had to prop myself up on my camper so I could get a foot on the kickstarter.......ow...

:rotfl:

My brother inlaw also told me I overdid it with the 25 pounds of air I put in the tires. He said 15-18 would work better....Next time....

whew... :)

Top Bottom