Gettin first bike... have a couple of questions

AzBoostin

Apr 27, 2007
Hey guys, Im getting into bikes after giving up drag racing cars for a while... Anyways I the question is do I need a newer bike. I think i am wanting a 125, but I am wanting to enter some mx, ama races eventually with a buddy. HE is telling me not to get anything older than a 1999..... would like some input.

1) your physical size 5-10 155lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you all or nothing
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes used to ride 4 wheelers, and have owned an older bike, crotch rockets, ect
5) Do you think you will race -yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke) whatever is cheapest
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry Yes
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike 1000-1500
10) Do you live in California-no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion- Just deciding on brand, year, ect size.... Would like somthing I can learn on and use all of my abilities

AzBoostin

Apr 27, 2007
Would a 1993 Ktm 250 be alright to get into racing with? Since it is an older bike and all will the older technologhy.. suspension... be good enough to stand up to some newer bikes

CJ_SPARTA

Apr 21, 2007
If you are just starting out then the ktm will be fine , upgrade later down the track when your skills have progressed.

that being said its still a handful to handle if u haven't ridden a 250 2 stoke before.

just keep it smooth on the throttle and clutch and keep your weight forward....a 250 is either wheel spinning or wheel standing, the best way to describe a 250 is " respect me or else.. "

i say this because i know many people that have gone with a 250 2 stroke for the 1st bike and have either put them selfes in hospital or put them on there ass.

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
I agree w/95xr, 125s are cheap. In my area you can get a 02 or 03 for 1500 or less. Learn on that and then move up. You should be able to ride it for a year or two and get most of your money back out of it if you keep it up. Check the for sale board on this site, you might find someting there. Good luck!

AzBoostin

Apr 27, 2007
Yes I have rode a 250 2 stroke beofre they are animals. but I think I could get used one one pretty fast. I just rode a 450f yesterday and wow... now thats I dont think I would want haha

adam_co

Apr 16, 2007
i was guna say get a 250 4 stroke but if you can ride them i would get a 250 2 stroke and especially if you can ride 450f's those 250 2 strokes are great especially the ktms i was guna get a 1990' ktm 250 (restored all the way down to the bolts) but i couldnt afford it and its hard to find tracks that let anything more that a 125 2stroke in thats why i had to get a 250 4 stroke

AzBoostin

Apr 27, 2007
ohh, IM not saying I can ride good or anything but I can get on a bike and go wot in a straight line haha.... a 450 I would not even try to get on a dirt track with... I would probly do a back flip right off of it... I was just hoping to get an older bike.. Get comfortable with the power... But no struggle later on because of older technology

Top Bottom