Rider109

Nov 5, 2007
Hey guys, this will be my first bike, and after years of wanting a bike and riding my friends crf250 recently, it's finally time and the deal is finalized. I'll be paying 375 for it, and it just needs a new clutch basket.

My only question as of now is this, what should the oil to gasoline mixture be?

ps-if you guys have any advice, please throw it out to me ;)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The best advice I can give you is to stop and pick up a manual as soon as you get the bike. Like on the way home. You are buying a high performance mini race bike. Maintenance is crutial. You will find what to do and how to do it in the manual. 32:1 is probly safe to start with. Use a quality oil from the bike shop. If you don't already have gear, ask Santa for some, it's important.

May 10, 2007
i agree with everything joe said.

especially on the gear. it is essential for riding. the things you must have are boots helmet and goggles and chest protector. next on the list is gloves and pants. (gloves are debatable they can go with the first group too) jersey comes last. some people also ride with a kidney belt. i never have. knee pads are useful to. bottom line no one has ever fallen and wished they had less gear. and tell santa thats its cheaper then the ER.

Rider109

Nov 5, 2007
Guys, I really appreciate the advice. I also fully plan on learning everything I can about the bike and was in fact gonna pick up the manual on my home, no joke, lol. As far as gear goes, I bought myself a nice helmet, fit to perfection last week, and I have a pair of JT goggles. I will be looking into getting the pants and chest protector(mom wants it for me, I'm not complaining,I value my life and her opinion...) I assume working boots are fine for now(weatherproof) and for gloves, I have paint ball gloves, which, correct me if I'm wrong, are extremely similar.

As far as where I live, NJ. Central to be exact. Also, I have a definite riding spot. My friends father, who is a police officer takes their family to ride every weekend on acres of land his friend owns and he has a huge trailer.

ps-it's nice having a yamaha dealership/service site in my town...

Rider109

Nov 5, 2007
Hey guys, I'm getting the bike tomorrow, as I mentioned, the clutch basket is worn out, and is going to be immediately replaced, although is it ok for me to start up tomorrow and give it a ride around for a few minutes? The bike will switch gears, it's just inconsistent, and there is no ratchety or clanking sound. Also, I didn't rush into this, I did go have a look at the bike before anything and have been talking to alot of friends that are experienced riders and have knowledge of bikes. I have also witnessed the bike start up.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you should be OK for a quick ride. also your basket might be fixable. you can file the notches out with a flat file. it will shift fine the. take the savings and buy some knee and elbow pads. well worth it. also work boots are OK...but MX boots are MUCH better. Find something off that auction site. You can usually get smokin deals if you don't mind used. They have much better anke protection than standard boots. This is one area I don't skimp on. since your feet and ankles are aroudn the ground all the time. easy to hurt them. foot pegs can cause serious damage to your legs in a crash.

Top Bottom