Getting a 91 KDX250 Road Legal

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Hey guys, I was wondering if some Ontario, Canada, KDX riders can point me in the right direction. I just picked up a 91 KDX250 for $500, non-running. I took it home, cleaned out the carb, changed the fluids, and cleaned the filter. The thing started up instantly, runs great (other than the rich stock jetting). Anyways the ownership for the bike says it's street legal (blue plated). My only problem is I have to get it safetied. The previous owner's dad owned a garage and just had the bike safetied without any signals, horn, etc...I was just gonna throw on one of those Tusk Enduro kits, but my motorcycle shop said they won't safety bikes like this anymore for the street, due to some Ontario legislation passed in 2008, banning the conversion of trail bikes to street use. Any ideas on how to get a safety. I already have a KDX200 that I love, and I trailer that thing everywhere, but it would be nice to ride down the road to hit a trail on the KDX250. Thanks.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Good luck with that! Here in California it is impossible to get a motorcycle that was originally manufactured for offroad use plated (well there is a way,but it's a long, very expensive and convoluted process done under the laws of "special construction") for street use. They tightened up all the laws on that stuff back in 04. Even if somebody signed off on the safety inspection here, the DMV computers would kick back the numbers and that would be the end of it. That's why I won't ever let go of my plated 1986 KDX200, and any plated KDX in this state that is up for sale commands a premium price.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It was great having plated KDX's in California. I had my '90 200 and my '91 250 street legal, but sold them before the laws changed. Back in the day, it was the same process to legalize a KDX as it was to convert an XR 250.

Lots of my friends plated two strokes, like KTM300's, and we had a blast.

Top Bottom