Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Been looking at motorcycle stands, and have seen two types, one that is like a milk crate, and another that has a lifting platform to raise the bike. The lifting platform does not seem like it would be very stable with the engine running. How does one person raise the 230 lb. bike to set it up on a milk crate platform? Do you lever it up using the kickstand, and then lower it onto the platform? Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for in a stand, or where to buy? Is a milk crate just as good? Thanks for the advice.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Moose makes by far the best lifting stand. The foot operated lift has great leverage and the tri-stand is very stable. I also have a stand (non lifting) for oil changes, but the truth is you can rest the bike on a tree or trailer for a quick oil change.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm not sure why you want to run the engine with the bike on a stand, but...

I have the MSR lift stand and love it. It was around $85 at my local dealer. It made greasing the suspension linkage MUCH easier than when I tried the milk crate method. It seems to be very stable...I have had no problems with it.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Never run a bike on the stand. Never!

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
MSR stand here. Been a great unit. (72? bucks at MX South)
Not sure why you'd have to run the bike on the stand. When I run mine, I'm usually on it, bouncing off trees and stuff....I guess I'll have to try the "stand riding" on a rainy day;) Who knows...I might get into some freestyle stuff that way.

...sorry, its Friday afternoon and I am still at work...

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
That's why it is always a good idea to ask before trying something questionable----I had considered using the stand to spray lubricant on the chain as the chain was turning with the engine in gear. On my old Honda TL250, it was so light and low that I could have a friend hold the bike balanced on sidestand and front tire, and then spray the chain with the engine running. But thanks for mentioning the caveat about not running the engine on a stand---that is something I will avoid.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
On the KDX mainpage, where you can go to the different sub forums click on Tech tips. In the right hand column there's a link to build a foot lift. I printed it out and built one at work on a slow night, it works great, and it's easy to build. A couple of the dimensions were at odds with each other, but  basically it's pretty close. Highly recommended! :aj:

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Let me be clear. OK to run the engine on the stand, never run it in gear on the stand.

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
If it's for garage use for $80 you can get a nice foot operated hydralic lift at Sam's Club. Very stable, and I run it in gear on the stand to lube the chain. I keep my hand on the clutch but have been doing it for some time without a hint of any problem.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
there will be only ONE hint of problem.... that is when your bike goes launching through the garage door (hopefully not over you).

Running the bike in gear on a stand is just asking for problems.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I thank everyone again for weighing in on this with very helpful comments. I have been away from motorcycles about 16 years. At one time, I had my garage filled with 4 bikes simultaneously---a Honda XL500, a T250, a Suzuki GS 650G, and a GS 1100E. Was very happy with all of them. Then one day, no more than 50 yards away from my driveway, a drunken teenager ran straight into me. The injuries were nothing more than bruises, but the memory stayed with me, and within a short time I sold all of my bikes. The only one that I really, really miss was my trials bike, and that thing was a locomotive. I even managed to get it street legal. So now getting back into it again after all these years, there is a lot to catch up on. As to running on the stand in gear, do you think it would be safe to do as a 2-man job? One to hold the bike steady on the stand while the other sprays the chain?

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
I have never had problem running the bike in a low gear on the stand (milkcrate).....If you have an unstable stand then I wouldnt do it but a milkcrate is stronger than u think and its very stable. Im not reccomending this to anyone, but I think its a great way to lube the chain and check for alignment. Just my 2 cents.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Im not sure what the big fuss is over running a bike on a stand while in gear. I do it every time I clean my bike (getting water off and chain lube on) and have been doing it like that for over 20 years. If it is mounted correctly on a stable stand there isnt ANY reason to be concerned. When my bike is on the lift stand, the weight is on the front tire, and the rear tire is 4 - 6 inches off the ground.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Woods rider, what brand of lifting stand do you use? I just assumed that both wheels would be elevated on the stand, but it does seem more stable if you keep the front wheel planted. I am considering both the Moose and the MSR stands, and am trying to decide which one is more stable. Does anyone have experience with both of them?

Top Bottom