squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
It's that time of year again, where everyone makes a resolution to get in shape, and by February they forget all about it.

Well...I'd like to try and stop that!

I resolved to stretch every major muscle group at least once a day and to walk at least 4 times a week. I will probably also either buy an exercise ball to do ab exercises with, or some sort of exercise video.

I don't so much want to lose any weight as I want to get in much better shape. I want to be toned, not flabby! I've gained 5 pounds since October, and I know it's all in the middle!

So, post here if you want to share your story!

If we continue to post here and support each other then maybe we won't be as inclined to drop our resolutions so quickly!

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Great idea on the post Squeeky! I definately need the support. My goal is to walk 5 miles 4 times per week. So far so good (I began 2 weeks ago!). The weather is nice so there can be NO excuses for me to "fall off the wagon" this time. I walk a trail that goes up, down and through canyons. Going up these hills gets my heart pounding super hard and I can feel the burn in my calves....I'll check back in next week!

good luck everyone in attaining your goals!

Petra

bordrshane

Dec 13, 2005
I worked out about everyday for a year and got in great shape. This was great, because it helped my back alot. Then I met my girlfriend and gained 20 lbs of beer and pizza. Im just now starting to go back to the gym to get my back in better shape. I also traded in my 250f for a 125, so I gotta get back down to about 170lbs.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well, keep us informed as to your progress! We'll push you!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
This could be cool. I started working on my weight before Thanksgiving. My wife has some medical problems that forced her to cut down and it's a lot easier if both of us diet and exersize. I have only been watching what I eat by sticking to low/non fat foods, no more munchies at night, stay away from candy dishes at work, etc. I've lost 11 pounds, down from 222. I figure that was pretty good considering it was over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

A couple of weeks ago I started some resistanse training. Nothing more than an old Bull Worker I had laying around but at least it's something. I'm not much for going to the gym...too boring. Shoveling snow, moving & splitting firewood, etc works better for me.

I'm hoping by Spring I'll be in the 180's and it will be like I added 10 hp to my bike!! :)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We are back on our gym program too. We did 5 days a week for a long time...then slacked off. This is the first week we are back 100%.
We do lower body mon, wed, fri along with two 20min cardio sessions. Then on tue, thu we do upper body and one cardio session.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
RM_guy said:
This could be cool. I started working on my weight before Thanksgiving. My wife has some medical problems that forced her to cut down and it's a lot easier if both of us diet and exersize. I have only been watching what I eat by sticking to low/non fat foods, no more munchies at night, stay away from candy dishes at work, etc. I've lost 11 pounds, down from 222. I figure that was pretty good considering it was over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

A couple of weeks ago I started some resistanse training. Nothing more than an old Bull Worker I had laying around but at least it's something. I'm not much for going to the gym...too boring. Shoveling snow, moving & splitting firewood, etc works better for me.

I'm hoping by Spring I'll be in the 180's and it will be like I added 10 hp to my bike!! :)

Awesome Dave! This is my first week of walking, and I've gone on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday so far. I'm really starting to enjoy it and my dog loves it!

Over the holidays I ate like a hog! But now I'm eating that Kashi Go Lean Oatmeal for breakfast, it's really good for organic food! Then I'm eating fruit twice a day at work for snacks, instead of cookies or candy. I've been eating a salad with every lunch and dinner. And if I get hungry at night, I'll eat a piece of wheat bread with peanut butter on it, or cheese, or something like that. I've been doing that since the 2nd of this month and I feel better already.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah, I have to step up the exersize. I bought my wife a real nice treadmill that does all kinds of stuff and she loves it. I find it boring and difficult to stick with. I have a Health Rider in the garage with an inch of dust on it that is the only thing I can seem to tolerate. Maybe it's because it's more like riding a dirt bike. It helps if I've got a good CD playing too.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
It's Saturday and I am going for my5 mile walk again today!!!! My husband and daugher are also going to go...Very motivating!!!! Can't get my son out of bed.... he's fifteen...

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Awesome! Glad you have someone to go with you! I can't go for my walk today, it's raining and is supposed to all day...:(

But...I did go out line dancing last night and was there for about 4 hours...probably about 3 hours worth of dancing total! Definitely a great workout!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We made it to workout 5x this week! Yay!! Now we just have to continue

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
MXGirl230 said:
We made it to workout 5x this week! Yay!! Now we just have to continue

:cool:

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
I don't have a body by Jake... I have a belly by cake! :)

About 8 months ago my wife and I joined the gym and we went 5 days a week for 3 months. We both saw excellent results. I was actually running 3 1/2 miles for 30 minutes twice per week, which I never thought I would or could do. Well, one thing after another started to keep us out of the gym for a couple of weeks and the routine just died. Now I'm twice as flabby as I was before I started. I'm about to join the weight loss challenge at work. Wish me luck.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I lost 25lbs since last Jan. It is pretty cool. The only problem is that it has become expensive. I have to buy new springs b/c now my suspension isn't working good. Also all my riding gear doesn't fit. I guess it is a good problem to have, but it still is a pain. LOL!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well, I did my first workout with "Billy Blanks Ab Bootcamp". HOLY COW!

I'll admit that I probably only did 75% of the workout, I'm going to have to work my way up. But my abs are burnin now, in a good way!

That and I can workout from the comfort of my own living room, so it's much more convenient! I'll be sticking with this workout along with my walking!

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
when i work out I cant loose but 5 or ten pounds in six months. I however started to watch what I eat and more so how much and lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I felt a little hungry at times but when I would really think about it I wasn't truly hungry. I just wanted to eat (bad habit). I learned a lot about nutrition from borrowed diabetic literature. and i found by learning to watch the amounts and regulate it was just self control I was lacking. like one piece of cake and a couple small scoops of ice cream instead of 3 pieces of cake and a whole bowl of ice cream. do those things with exercise and you can loose the pounds really fast. after a couple weeks you find yourself very comfortable with less food.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
All my weight loss is due to a new eating schedule. Really simple. First, I starting eating a biscuit or two every morning for breakfast. I never used to eat breakfast. But it is real important to get your metabolism going. Second, I stopped eating anything after 6pm. I used to drink 5 cokes a day. I have cut that back to 2 a day. Drinking lots of water. 1/2 gallon during the winter and 1 gal + during the summer. I rode a lot of miles. Very intense riding for like 50-80 miles at least 3 weekends out of the month for the whole year. Just one good intense workout a week riding my dirt bike and a smarter approach to eating has done the trick for me. 25lbs in a year without doing hardly anything different. Hope this helps someone.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
Bandit9 said:
All my weight loss is due to a new eating schedule. Really simple. First, I starting eating a biscuit or two every morning for breakfast. I never used to eat breakfast. But it is real important to get your metabolism going. Second, I stopped eating anything after 6pm. I used to drink 5 cokes a day. I have cut that back to 2 a day. Drinking lots of water. 1/2 gallon during the winter and 1 gal + during the summer. I rode a lot of miles. Very intense riding for like 50-80 miles at least 3 weekends out of the month for the whole year. Just one good intense workout a week riding my dirt bike and a smarter approach to eating has done the trick for me. 25lbs in a year without doing hardly anything different. Hope this helps someone.
I like the water suggestion.. I've heard that if you drink a large glass of water before each meal, you tend to eat less. I also agree with the NOT eating after 6pm rule. Our bodies are usually less active in the evenings so there isn't a chance to burn those extra calories so not eating after 6 is a great solution. I am a true believer of eating breakfast, a hot lunch and a smaller dinner (sandwich, salad, etc.) This is how they do it in Europe and they seem to have less of a weight problem than we do here in the U.S.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
Another good tip is to eat 5 small meals a day instead of 2 or 3 large ones. When you work out you will be much hungrier because your metabolism speeds up. Don't get discouraged if you only lose 5 lbs. because you are losing fat but gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. The scale is not a good measure of progress unless you have a LOT of fat to lose. Good luck!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Howdy,
I have recently started a new work out, mostly it consists of pushups, situps, chin ups, and running. I leave for the Marine Corps Basic Training in August so I am trying to get in shape and work up a tolerance. I plan to work myself up to running 8 miles a day or more in the morning, 100 pushups, 300 situps, and 20 chinups. I think all of these goal are feasible. I cant lift weights at all, I find it extremely boring. I live and work on a farm so I have a pretty good work out each day already. I thought about changing my diet, but I think if I change my eating habits I will find myself getting hungry when I am busy doing something that I cant stop until its done. So I continue to eat when I have time. I have although stopped drinking soda. All I drink now is water, apple juice and orange juice. Before I leave in August we will be in full swing of Bailing straw in our area, and that is an awesome work out all in itself. I should be in pretty good shape before I leave. No offense, but I laugh at all you people who are paying to go to a gym to get the same work out that I am getting paid to do. I kill two birds with one stone and get a bigger sense of accomplishment. Has anyone else got any suggestions about what else I can do to get ready? Thanks for the help.

Benjamin
P.S. A girl who can line dance and likes DB's, is a keeper

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i dont get it at all. i ate like a pig all through the holidays trying to gain weight. i wanted to hit 190. the day after new years, i started working out/dieting with a goal of 175lbs. i havent seen that weight in 12 yrs. im 40 and in better shape than most of my buds but the "experts" say for my height i should way 155-160 which is insane.

since ive started ive biked every other day at least 10 miles on pavement or dirt. on days not riding the bike, ive been running 3 miles at 10 min miles. a little upper body lifting on days that i run. i do this routine 6 days a week. i drink 80% water and 20% tea. i have had one coke since the first and only one beer. i eat a bit of fruit for breakfast, a light lunch usually soup, and a light dinner. i have to be eating at least 50% less than i was and everything is healthy. i have had fries once and no fast food at all.

here is what ive accomplished so far:

good
better energy level
legs are stronger
lots of improvement in cardio. resting heart rate went from 72 to 53

bad
ive lost a whopping 2 lbs!!!!

i dont want to hear muscle weighs more than fat. my body fat scale says nothing has changed.

im doing the calorie math and it isnt adding up but dont know why my body isnt responding. i expected the cardio to bounce back quickly and it has. im tired of being a fit person in a body that i want 15 lbs lighter.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Patience. Just stay on course, and you will get where you want to be. Your body is burning up all the stored fat right now, so it won't appear to be doing anything, but it is. Just stay focused on the goal.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well...I wanted to walk last night, but with the wind chill it was 15 degrees outside. Brrrrrrrrr...So, I slacked off for the evening!

I agree with eating smaller meals throughout the day. I constantly snack on fruit or something healthy in between meals, that way I don't overindulge during my meal. During the day I also drink lots of water, except for my morning coffee and Diet Cherry Coke with lunch.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Patience is sooo key here! My bike was my motivating factor to lose weight. I knew I needed to drop down, but I didn't do enough about it until I bought my RM250. I was 236 and had been slowly getting there since 1997 when I graduated high school at 195. I tried so many things and never could stick to it, until 7 months ago.....

I started to count calories. I know it's a pain in the arse, but it WORKS! In years past, I always tried things like low carb, low fat, ect, but never counted calories. I started taking Trim Spa X32 and restricted myself to a 1500 calorie a day diet. I only excercise MAYBE once a week except for about 20 minutes of squats, push ups, and crunches every night during commercials. Well, I instantly lost 15 lbs. I think it only took 3 weeks!!! This was the motivation I needed, especially since excercising is boring as hell to me.

The loss slowly tapered and I had a few plateaus, but now 7 months later, I am down to 193! 43 lbs in 7 months still shocks the hell out of me. Now fully suited up, I'm just over 200 lbs on the bike, not too much for the stock suspension to handle, so I see it as saving myself $600+ on suspension. On the negative to it, like someone else mentioned already, I had to buy new riding gear, which sucked, and I think I may need to go down more more size AGAIN on my pants in the near future if I keep losing. I would like to be 195 in all gear, so I figure another 5 or so will get me there.

I figured if I lost 40+ lbs my endurance level should rise naturally with it. NO! I get about 3 laps around the local tracks and I'm about to die. SO, I am slowly working into tread mill jogging 1-2 miles and mountain biking 10+ miles a couple times a week.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Riding the bike is the best exercise. Just ride and ride HARD every chance you get. It is the intensity in the riding that is the most beneficial.

Even at 195lbs with your gear, you are still too heavy for stock springs. Springs are only $200 front and rear. Changing your springs is very easy and you could do it in less than an hour. Your riding will improve greatly.

Top Bottom