getting into dirt bike, need some help.

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'11", 210lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? dunno yet, in the middle I guess
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? local trails, desert roads...
4) Do you have any riding experience? over 10 years of full suspension mountain bikes
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? YZ125 or 250
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? There are dealers for all major brands within a few miles of me.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? about $1000 for my first bike.
10) Do you live in California? no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion:
I've wanted a bike for a long time now and I've been doing lots of research lately and I'll be ready to finally buy one in about a month. I only want to spend $1000 just in case I find that this isn't my cup of tea. I've been looking at 2 stroke 125's because coming from the sports car world I'm looking for light, quick and agile in a bike.I do understand the care needed in a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke and I'm fine with that.

i guess my main question thus far is this: I don't need/want the newest bike out there at this point but I don't want something ancient either. I have a guy locally who has a 1986 YZ125. I reluctantly went to see it as I didn't think I wanted something that old. when I got there we pulled out the bike and cold the bike started right up. the engine sounded extremely solid and revved very smoothly. checking the bike over the suspension was really smooth and "tight" and there seemed to be no play in the wheel bearings or swingarm bearings. I was very shocked at just how nice this thing was for such an old bike. we talked for almost 2 hours as he went over how tedious he was about keeping it running perfect(original owner BTW). he said he wanted $1000, that includes all new plastics(still in bags) and I think some other misc. gear.
My only problem is this, as mechanically sound as the bike seems:
1. it just looks a lil dated, seat, fenders, tank, etc.
2. it has rear drum brakes, not that it matters but I feel odd about buying into "old" technology.
3. it has standard forks as opposed to the "inverted" forks I see on newer 125's

I know these things might seem petty to a guy who has never owned a bike before but every now and then I see a 1995 and newer 125's that seem like they are in nice shape for $1000-$1600.

I'm just worried that if I get this 86 I might be kicking myself for not getting something new for not a whole lot more.

lemme know what ya think, all opinions wlecome.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I wouldent get an 86 YZ125. nor would i get a 250 since you are starting out. Any 125 would be fine. There is less maintence in a 2-stroke than a 4-stroke though. all you have to do is keep it clean, clean the airfilter, Change the oil every once and awile. And ocassionaly change the spark plug... And mix 2-stroke oil into the gas (yeah i know... another 30 sec wasted... But you'll live)

Anywho find a used 125. You might not be able to get that decient of a bike for $1000 but it would be something. And trust me a 125 will be enough for you.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Hmmmm....... I ride a '86 YZ-125

They are good bikes. Most of the common repair parts you can still order from Yamaha so the basic maintenance is not much of an issue. What you don't find are aftermarket parts that will fit a bike that old.

If you want a bike that there are after market parts for then you need to go about ten years newer, so '96 or newer. You might have a hard time finding a decent bike in your price range, however.

A properly cared for bike will last a long time, so that '86 could be in great shape. I think $1000 is top dollar for it, however. A poorly cared for bike could be a nightmare, so a '96 model might not be a good deal just because it is newer. $1000 for a '96 will be a bit on the low side so you might have trouble finding a really nice bike for that price. If you can go up another $500 you shouldn't have any problem for a 125 and you might even find a 250 for just a little bit more.

When you buy a bike find out from the seller what oil and mix ratio that he used and use that as your starting point. Chaning the oil to gas ratio can have a small effect on the carburetor jetting so I would suggest getting a little bit of experience/background with the bike before any changes are made.

If you are just starting out you will also need all the riding gear: Helmet and goggles as a bare minimum, but I highly recommend boots, gloves, chest protector and knee pads. People who have been in the sport for a while tend to accumulate this stuff and have it laying around so you might want to try to get the seller to throw some gear in if he has any in your size.

Rod

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
cool man, thanks for the reply.

yeah, I don't mind premixin at all:). I think I've pretty much talked myself out of the 86.
I found a 1990 KX250 for $1000 that for sale close to me. it looks pretty clean and I'm gonna try and go see it this weekend. is a 250 gonna be too much for me to handle being a noob?

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I think you should find a KDX200.

interesting, from what little I've read it seems kinda like a "lil bit of everything" kinda bike. definately gives me something else to look for, thanks.

just saw a 94 KDX200 on the internet for $1400.....decent price?

thanks for all the info fellas, this is really helping me a ton.

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
cool, thanks. yup, I've upped my price range to $1500 to gimmie a lil more options. I've found some stuff that looks decent but it seems that there aren't many for sale in my area....DFW Texas...go figure, and not too many folks seem willing to ship a bike. dunno if I would be willing to buy a bike without seeing it first anyways.

Jan 3, 2007
Also, if you dont mind having an older bike a Yamaha IT175. 200, 250, 465 are all great and are easy to find and very fun to ride. I have seen them for sale in texas befor. The best years for them are 81 and newer because they have better suspension.

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
well kids I think I'm gonna try and get financed for a 2001 Yamaha WR250ffrom a dealer.
whatcha think about that ride?
anything special I should know about the 4 strokes? isn't there some special about starting em?

rigi144

Nov 13, 2006
you also need to remember that the price of a bike is the difference between the price you bought it for, and the price you re sell it for. even if you spend 3000 bucks on a bike, if u dont like it, and dont like dirt biking, then re sell it and the money you lose is the money ur dirtbike was actually worth. so if you take good care of it, you can re sell it for not too much of a price drop. just my .02$ good luck!

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
well kids, they said "APPROVED" so barring acts of god, bad luck, or any other malicious coincidence I should be picking my WR250F up this Friday.
Thanks for all the help fellas, this is a nice forum and I'm sure I'll be asking you guys a bunch more questions in the future:)

spraintz

Apr 23, 2007
hello again, got the bike:) Not trying to sound cocky or anything but I thought it would be a lot tougher to get used to riding a dirtbike. Everything felt absolutely natural. This thing is a blast to ride. Can't wait to get it out to our land in the west Texas desert:)

Thanks again fellas.

Top Bottom